Ic5146 LRGB

Rodd

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

"My God, It's Full of Stars"  beautiful image!

Thanks.  I certainly agree with the first part of that statement.....I had forgotten just how many stars there are.  On a good night I am lucky if I can see 70-80 visually (maybe allot less--not sure).  The software identifies 13-15,000 in the FOV (of the raw subs).  A bit of a challenge for processing.

Rodd

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Very nice Rodd. Processing looks spot on 

Thanks Doc....I find this one a bit tricky.  The cocoon itself is eay--but the dust and stars are at opposite ends of the teeter totter

Rodd

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Doc....I find this one a bit tricky.  The cocoon itself is eay--but the dust and stars are at opposite ends of the teeter totter

Rodd

I've moved onto the world of cooled astro cams myself, and it's such a game changer!  A different target to this one, but last night I shot Ha with my CCD and some Oiii with my DSLR, the latter is just a fuzzy mess, with the sensor temp reading 40oC higher than the CCD.

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've moved onto the world of cooled astro cams myself, and it's such a game changer!  A different target to this one, but last night I shot Ha with my CCD and some Oiii with my DSLR, the latter is just a fuzzy mess, with the sensor temp reading 40oC higher than the CCD.

Once I forgot to turn on the cooling and when the subs started coming out I was mystified--it looked like a snow field.  I have never tried water cooling, but some folks do.

Rodd

Thanks to Wim for pointing out that I should take a second look at the stars.  Not to dredge of an image sliding down into obscurity--but a reprocess has improved it I believe.  Stars have some [removed word] in the flower--but over all--Its a better image.  The dusty envelope is more visible, and the the smaller stars are reduced.  

Image09-2a.thumb.jpg.bea08c0acbbe8e48215040c64d56406b.jpg

Sorry--1 more.  Thank Wim.  One version has better nebula depiction, and one has better dark dust depiction.  It turns out that too much star reduction reducers the contrast and the dark dust lanes are diminished.

Rodd

Nebula

Image09-2a4.thumb.jpg.8decbec8ec56739d3428c31147cbf7bd.jpg

Dust lanes

Image09-2a2.thumb.jpg.83336a7a2a2baf8885c82101f17164b5.jpg

Archived