Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon kit lens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks focused to me also but sadly your expecting too much from a kit lens 18-55mm . The only way i can focus decent is i locate the brightest star i can or the moon , zoom in to 55mm , i use AF and when it comes to a pinpoint i like i switch to MF and i do not touch the focus ring on the lens until I’m through shooting . Be sure and turn IS off while on tropod or piggyback a scope . 

5 hours ago, Atreta said:

Last time i used that lens i went for the autofocus tool in apt, but used it as a kind of manual control using the focus buttons instead of the auto( my license expired anyway). The fine focusing buttons worked great. 

Ok, I've been playing with the focus and auto focus on apt, how do you stop the af on the lens hunting for focus? I get focus using apt and then when I stop using it the af kicks in and starts hunting again. Can you walk through your process

5 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Ok, I've been playing with the focus and auto focus on apt, how do you stop the af on the lens hunting for focus? I get focus using apt and then when I stop using it the af kicks in and starts hunting again. Can you walk through your process

After you have it focused, all you have to do is switch from AF to MF on the lens.

DSC_0080.thumb.JPG.0798562065cc3632acfbd442026fb5d5.JPG

I have this lens too but I was quite surprised by what it can do.

This is a stack of I don't remember how many photos taken with the lens at 18mm f5. The shots were taken in my back garden under bortle 6 skies.

LRM_EXPORT_20170926_065347.thumb.jpg.304f739f969904e056a80ff49123d662.jpg

I think that with a bit more practice you can do nice things with it.

Also, the next one is a stack of photos taken with the same lens at 55mm on a tracking mount.

PSX_20171114_234702.thumb.jpg.ad052ef3cf32f61402133712e0dadcb1.jpg

The camera with the lens is on the right.

20171112_165011.thumb.jpg.0e9bf23e43df79f9ab9cc94953878fc7.jpg

I have found that my 50mm f/1.8 STM lens has a nice focus action certainly far better the the clunky basic kit offerings, Live view on the camera (definitely not APT or BYEOS) is your best friend in achieving pinpoint focus.

Alan

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have found that my 50mm f/1.8 STM lens has a nice focus action certainly far better the the clunky basic kit offerings, Live view on the camera (definitely not APT or BYEOS) is your best friend in achieving pinpoint focus.

Alan

Actually found the opposite on the kit lens, since buying the full version on apt with focus control on the laptop it's far far easier to focus it as you're not touching the camera. Well worth £18

Archived