NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Teflon bearings for Dobs

Dave_D

So, i asked my sister if the place she (and i used to) work at had any offcuts of teflon i could snaffle to make bearings... she plonked these in my hand lol

Does anyone know what the best way is i can cut these into thin strips with minimal waste?

teflon_zpspvncrahf.png

and no, the bottom one isn't a church candle lolololol

eBay[UK] has excellent Teflon/PTFE dealers with very reasonable prices in "normal" thickness sheet. Save hours of messing about?

Otherwise a bandsaw fitted with a fence and/or a sled will slice it into usable circles as Tim has already suggested.

Then cut the circles into the sizes you want.

Table circular saw with sled, used as above? The usual miter gauges with portable table saws aren't usually much cop for this sort of job.

The greater width of the circular saw blade will take its toll on your stock material.

A lathe with a parting tool will work but is also rather wasteful of material.

All of the above will leave you with a fairly rough surface compared with gorgeous, snow white, 'virgin' sheet PTFE.

Hence the "hours wasted" comment above. :wink2:

You need a slow cutting device to do this.
If you use a bandsaw or whatever rpm should be set to a minimum. Cutting to fast will melt the PFTE instead of cutting.
And yep, as Rusted suggested, a parting tool on a lathe should do the trick very smoothly, but most of all very clean.

Archived