Question about Milky way mosaics

1 hour ago, HunterHarling said:

Hi, so if I do a mosaic consisting of 60 second exposures and 20 panels, won't the milky way move too much to stitch it properly? 

Thanks

The mosaic software will align on the stars, movement isn't a problem. But the mosaic may not be rectangular. You'll have to allow for trimmed edges.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

The mosaic software will align on the stars, movement isn't a problem. But the mosaic may not be rectangular. You'll have to allow for trimmed edges.

Yes, but I want landscape in the photo as well, so won't the landscape move between images once it is aligned?

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Probably better of using a wide angle camera lens.

Dave

This incredible image was made using a 24 to 35mm lens so it can be done...

I would take the 'bottom row' of the mosaic first, this will minimise the time that you are getting potential movement between the stars and the foreground. Then do the rows above as columns starting at the western end, this will get the bits that are likely to set first as soon as possible. I think that should minimise any mismatching.

One method of skyscape photography I've read about, but never tried, is to track at half sidereal speed, combined with short fl. This is a compromise between getting star trails and "landscape trails".

Archived