Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What mounts are there for SkyWatcher Explorer 300PDS that dont have a GoTo system

ive just found a really nice deal for a SkyWatcher Explorer 300PDS scope, but the problem is that it doesn't come with a mount. All of the mounts iv'e found online have a GoTo system, I just want to have the struggle of finding things without the help of a machine. Is it possible to find such a mount for a telescope of this size? any help would be great!

I think you definitely want to be building a dob mount for a scope that size. Reflectors on eq mounts need to be rotated in the tube rings when you change targets. You don't want to be having to do that often and I suspect lifting it up onto a tripod based mount will be a two person job. 

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I think you definitely want to be building a dob mount for a scope that size. Reflectors on eq mounts need to be rotated in the tube rings when you change targets. You don't want to be having to do that often and I suspect lifting it up onto a tripod based mount will be a two person job. 

ill see if i can find a video on how to get or make a dob mount. thx for the tip.

You could get a Skytee II alt az Mount for it, and then you won’t have to worry about rotating the scope like you need to do on any EQ Mount. With careful balancing when setting it up, and slo mo controls too I used to use my Skywatcher 200 PDS scope on it no problem.

I have a SW 300PDS and it's enormous compared to my 250px.  The latter is a simple one handed lift and one hand to tighten the dovetail screws.  The former is two handed lift, chest/chin balance, breaking a sweat affair.  I do use my 300pds on an EQ6, but I suspect you'd be safer using it on a Dobsonian mount.  It's the scope I use the least I have to say purely because of it's size.

2 minutes ago, Long Boi said:

what does the "Tube Rings & Trunnion 
Blocks (Pair)" mean

also thanks 

You need them to attach the scope.  The brake is optional.  I have the brake, I've found it useful.

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I have a SW 300PDS ... is two handed lift, chest/chin balance, breaking a sweat affair.  I do use my 300pds on an EQ6 ...

I also have a 300p - it's like a very large dustbin - and am planning to try to use it on my AZ-EQ6 - I'm glad to have found someone else who has managed it on a similar mount. Hopefully it's just a breaking sweat affair, as opposed to breaking mirror ?. It's currently in Ireland and I'll be there in August...

Archived