Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anti Galling Grease?

hughgilhespie

Hi,

Working on my balanced OTA with FSQ106, mini-computer and Pegasus Ultimate powerhub. Lots of aluminium bits and all held together with A2 stainless steel fixings, mainly socket head cap screws. Might be a smattering of A4 stainless too.

From previous experience, sooner or later the stainless fixings will corrode in the aluminium (gall) and become very difficult - often impossible - to remove. When I was messing around with boats we used to use something called copper-slip grease to prevent this happening. You just dipped the screw into the grease before inserting and tightening.

Is this stuff still the best way or are there other, more modern anti-galling agents? Recommendations please?

Regards, Hugh

The best anti-galling solution is a product called 'Duralac' - suitable for use between any dissimilar metals.

Almost every yacht has an aluminium mast onto which are fastened dozens if not hundred of stainless steel fittings on various (dubious!) grades and they need to be removed every so often.

This stuff works like a charm.

The technical spec is here but you can buy it off of eBay for about £10

https://www.s3i.co.uk/duralac-jointing-compound.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4ZutUpn1QFMuIuA1my8hG3DPkmxlfslUVHxY52EtWDs6NNfGhgs0kQBoCJEcQAvD_BwE

Copper slip will work for a while but its introducing yet another dissimilar metal and it is a beggar to remove and stains everything it touches.

21 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The best anti-galling solution is a product called 'Duralac' - suitable for use between any dissimilar metals.

Almost every yacht has an aluminium mast onto which are fastened dozens if not hundred of stainless steel fittings on various (dubious!) grades and they need to be removed every so often.

This stuff works like a charm.

The technical spec is here but you can buy it off of eBay for about £10

https://www.s3i.co.uk/duralac-jointing-compound.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4ZutUpn1QFMuIuA1my8hG3DPkmxlfslUVHxY52EtWDs6NNfGhgs0kQBoCJEcQAvD_BwE

Copper slip will work for a while but its introducing yet another dissimilar metal and it is a beggar to remove and stains everything it touches.

Thanks Billy, that's great.

Tube ordered!

Regards, Hugh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived