NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 to 1.25" adapter

kbrown

Didn't have a way to attach my QHY5L-II mono CCD to my filterwheel with a barlow lens so I thought I'd give it a go and 3d print + mill an adapter. Now it's relatively easy to swap between my Atik 383L+ and this setup without having to mess up the back focus distance from the coma corrector on the other side of the wheel. Yet to be tested though :)

IMG_20180702_235139.jpg

IMG_20180702_235201.jpg

IMG_20180702_235444.jpg

9 hours ago, kbrown said:

Didn't have a way to attach my QHY5L-II mono CCD to my filterwheel with a barlow lens so I thought I'd give it a go and 3d print + mill an adapter. Now it's relatively easy to swap between my Atik 383L+ and this setup without having to mess up the back focus distance from the coma corrector on the other side of the wheel. Yet to be tested though :)

That M42 thread is it printed or is it cut afterward in a lathe..?

I too print threads but never tried threads that small. Nicely done..!! Need to try that. 
But I first need to make a smaller nozzle I think.  The smallest nozzle I use now is 0.4mm.  (The largest nozzle I made -only a few days- ago is 2.5mm btw...! I need to test that one too...:D..)

But there's one think I do not understand. The perimeter of the lower section of that part is rather rough and the thread itself is remarkably 'clean'(almost). Can you explain this please.
A possible solution to accomplish this is by using 'Process transition' along the way...?

Hey Neil..!

You just invented a new hobby : 'filament-knitting'...:D

Gina :...thoughts...ideas...??
Here's mine : using 'flexy' filament it can be done. And using broomsticks as knitting-needles, you'll end up with a nice open structure.

It's no problem printing an "open structure" if that's what you want.  But yes you could knit flexy filament straight off the reel if you wanted - can't quite see an application but still...  ?

I've just received 0.25mm and 0.15mm nozzles. Ordered them as I wasn't able to get clean prints at 0.05mm layer height with the 0.4mm nozzle. Also the hole diameters were not accurate. With the 0.25mm nozzle everything seems to click. Here's a couple of M12 internal threads. The 1.75mm pitch was printed with 0.1mm layer height and the 0.75mm pitch with 0.05mm layer height. Pleased with the results. Have not tried the 0.15mm nozzle yet. 

IMG_20180709_013258.jpg

Oh by the way. What are you guys using to model the threads? I did mine manually in FreeCad by sweeping a thread profile along a helix then some booleans on top. Getting the profile right proved to be slightly tricky but I guess you only have to do it once per pitch.

Archived