Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to convert manual mount to computerized mount

Articunos

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice this in the for sale; 

As long as the motors are correctly matched to astroeq (and I've got no reason at all to think they aren't), then this is by far the easiest and  cheapest way to get your EQ5 clone running as a goto with astroeq. You will need a laptop/pc to connect it to, though. 

Ady

PS - I have  no connection to seller. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading these steps has given me an idea of how it fits.

But what I didn't understand is when he puts the long allen bolt in the back of the mount.I have no such hole.

I am also considering AstroEQ and OnStep,but if the Skywatcher Upgrade kit would fit my mount(or even the Exos 2 upgrade kit),I would consider that first.

Even for the SW upgrade, forget the SloMo controls....

As for any long bolts, all I can think of are the DEC\RA adjustment bolts, which I'm not sure you should concern yourself with, unless you've bent the ones you have.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:45, Articunos said:

Reading these steps has given me an idea of how it fits.

But what I didn't understand is when he puts the long allen bolt in the back of the mount.I have no such hole.

I am also considering AstroEQ and OnStep,but if the Skywatcher Upgrade kit would fit my mount(or even the Exos 2 upgrade kit),I would consider that first.

How is the RA drive on your mount attached ?

20 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Even for the SW upgrade, forget the SloMo controls....

As for any long bolts, all I can think of are the DEC\RA adjustment bolts, which I'm not sure you should concern yourself with, unless you've bent the ones you have.

On my LXD75 there's a long bolt that passes through the mount body from the back and holds the RA motor assy. in place.

Oops, I agree there is a long'ish bolt that goes through the mount to hold the DEC motor, long time since I did the upgrade....

I laboured in the heat, dug out the mount, so here are some Pics..... 

MotorBacks1.png

DEC_BoltHole1.png

MotorMounting1.png

On 05/08/2018 at 15:52, Cornelius Varley said:

Neither photo shows how the motor is attached to the mount. Where are the mounting bolt(s) located ?

The RA motor is attached to my mount with 4 screws:

IMG_6725-edited.thumb.jpg.d16e56cd8c37382fa2ca17bb8a3483e9.jpg

IMG_6729-edited.thumb.jpg.e4f77b96279704e4b296b6560e0f526c.jpg

Here is the DEC motor(in case it helps):

IMG_6732-edited.thumb.jpg.93b4648532ac61fb05483fedf45afdf1.jpg

IMG_6736-edited.thumb.jpg.801ac49d49b8c7ad64e078a1bff566bc.jpgIMG_6736-edited.thumb.jpg.801ac49d49b8c7ad64e078a1bff566bc.jpg

IMG_6738-edited.thumb.jpg.97599a5233731003afefa4b1576c207d.jpg

12 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Unless the motor mounting are the same then it will not be possible to use the Synscan or Bresser upgrades.

So can anybody help me out with that?

Can you or anybody else who has used a SkyWatcher or Bresser upgrade kit please tell me whether the motor mounting is same or is it different on my mount?

In this video, starting at about 4:15, you can see the new RA motor on its mount, which appears to be a one piece casting.

The bracket is attached to the mount through the rear by a long Allen bolt. The DEC drive is attached to the short protruding bracket at the top of the mount.

So can I conclude that the SkyWatcher upgrade kit won't work on my mount?

48 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The version of the EQ5 you have seems to be unique to your part of the world so ultimately, you will have to make the decision of whether you will be able to modify the mount or motors or create new motor mounts to make it work

And can you explain what did you mean by modifying the mount or the motors?

Archived