Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters on OSC cameras

Just a quick naïve question. I notice that on the FLO website the listing for the ZWO ASI294 colour camera also shows as a related product the ZWO Mini Filter Wheel. Is this a simple mistake and if not can an experienced member explain why and in what circumstances a change of filters might be necessary. Thanks - John  

I have the Atik 4120EX OSC camera. I also have a filter wheel.

Apart from LP filters, one can still use Ha and other narrow band filters. One has to separate the Bayer matrix image to extract the relevant frequency. 

Here are Ha image's I took with OSC camera.

Pelican Nebula.jpg

Monkey head.jpg

As Star101 ably demonstrates, you can usefully use NB filters with modern CMOS cameras. There is a significant loss of resolution compared with mono and the same filters but the small pixels mean that you can still get a very decent result. If your aim is to add NB data to natural colour, which is how I use it, then it would be well worth doing. For all that, I do personally feel that mono is more productive per unit time.

Olly

23 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you have a DSLR, my experience shows 7nm Ha (at least) is worth doing, but the advice I have received is that non-Ha narrowband offers 'diminishing returns' - although someone, somewhere will pop up and prove you can do it!

I’ve taken 900s exposures of Oiii and you are right, it’s very weak signal, but it does add some nice colour to an Ha image ??

Archived