SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Superb Jupiter!

Piero

Considering the rather strong wind blowing all day, I was really surprised to see a steady sky this evening. Therefore, I decided to take the telescopes out to observe Jupiter. The TV60 was coupled with the Vixen HR 3.4mm, whereas the Tak 100 with the Zeiss zoom + VIP barlow. Surprise surprise, I achieved some very fine views with both these scopes. The GRS was so obvious in the TV60 that I had to detach from and go back to the eyepiece a couple of times to make sure it was not a fantasy. I do not have a memory of such a detail in that scope, TBH. It generally appears a bit fuzzy and requires some effort, whereas tonight it was a clear and distinct brown oval. Faint details on the equatorial belts were also detectable with some patience. These appeared like minor irregularities in the shape and colour of the lines forming the belts. The polar regions were also softly depicted. Once I moved to the Tak100, all those faint details became obvious, whereas a multitude of other features emerged. A complex and elongated white-ish feature was visible on the north equatorial belt, opposite to the GRS. The sky was so steady that I could increase the magnification at about 240-250x. At this level, the thick brown GRS showed its own internal details. These were not easy to spot, but were essentially made of darker curves, kind of concentric ovals separated by a darker brown colour. The hollow of the GRS was also rather easy to see. A minor "belt" was right in between the two equatorial belts. Then there were the north and south temperate belts. Finally, the polar regions. Each of these belts presented zigzag patterns. The four Jovian moons appeared like mini disks above 180x-200x. These were perfectly defined even at the top zoom end (276.1x), revealing no glare or light scattering. The session completed with a more relaxed observation with the Docter + VIP at about 150x. Another terrific sight..! 

Excellent report Piero :thumbright:

I've had a decent session here but not quite as good as yours I think. GRS was very clear but lesser jovian belts not as contrasty as on other nights recently. Your "window" was obviously a little clearer than mine this evening ! :smiley:

7 hours ago, John said:

Excellent report Piero :thumbright:

I've had a decent session here but not quite as good as yours I think. GRS was very clear but lesser jovian belts not as contrasty as on other nights recently. Your "window" was obviously a little clearer than mine this evening ! :smiley:

Thanks John.

Those sky conditions were completely unexpected. No air turbulence at all. 

Thanks for the report, Piero. Sounds like a great session.

I was also observing Jupiter and the GRS with the Tak FC76 and the C9.25. I'll report on some tests with the former on another thread later.

20 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks for the report, Piero. Sounds like a great session.

I was also observing Jupiter and the GRS with the Tak FC76 and the C9.25. I'll report on some tests with the former on another thread later.

Cheers Jeremy :)

Looking forward to reading your report! 

Just goes to show what a difference the seeing makes! Sounds like a cracking session Piero, I've not managed anything that good this apparition. The zoom and barlow obviously work very well together!

Archived