NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Salutations to one & all!

Spockyvision

I am new to staring in to space - well, besides what my school reports says and apparently I was very good back then at doing so - so I thought I would take it up using bits of glass, mirrors and eye pieces.

All carefully assembled in a way that allows me to see those little white (and not so) dots of light a lot more clearly!

Have been to a few places to learn the sky, the layout and how to use telescopes and I have still yet to decide on what I am going to spend my monies on...

Problem I have (Barnsley) is bad light pollution (probably a well talked about topic on here somewhere!) so I have made a good friend in an astronomy centre I found on line.

Being new on here and not wanting to cross boundaries regarding advertising etc., am I allowed to post such information on how useful, helpful, nice & kind the two people are that run (really good food too!) and what a brilliantly dark place this centre is located in?

It is far enough north to see the Aurora Borealis and the dark skies allow some absolutely fantastic deep sky observations.

You can also take your own equipment but with a 16" f5 newtonian reflector on an equatorial fork mount located there - no need to is there?!

Hi Spockyvision,

Not sure about the 'plug'. You need to ask one of the moderators. However, welcome to SGL. :undecided: Great place for advice etc...

Got a 'scope? If you do, it sounds like you'll be needing an LPR or OIII filter to see faint stuff near your gaff.

Stef

Welcome to the Forum Spocky. I hope staring into space with optical aids can keep you awake. :laughing2: I'm sure they will. I think most of us know to whom you are referring regarding the help they gave you. Anyone searching the retail section will soon find them.

Enjoy your stay.

Ron :undecided:

Thank you to all for such a warm welcome!

I am in Barnsley not far from the city centre - yes light pollution is really bad here. Even seeing Cassiopea is difficult. Stefski thank you for the information regarding filters - will these darken the sky sufficiently for me to be able to see though?

I found the forum area (thank you for the pointer Barkis!) with the details of the location I have stayed at and have 'let on to others' my personal experience of staying there.

I have a week booked this month there so I will be meeting with Mike really soon - just hope we have clearer skies than the last time I stayed there!

If you are wondering about my user name :undecided: my partner gave it to me after she found out I was in to Astronomy - can't see the link myself though!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived