NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comparison of IC1396 DLSR ASI1600MM

tooth_dr

This test is about as unscientific as they come, but here it is!

An image I took of the Elephant Trunk nebula using a Canon 40d with a CLS light pollution filter, ran through APP and converted to greyscale in PS.  I took 12 x 600s subs.

A second comparative image, the data was kindly offered to me by @Allinthehead , I ran it through APP and PS.  This is an H-alpha image, 300s subs totalling 7 hours.

I cropped both images and aligned them just to make the comparison easier for me to assess.  There are a lot of variables that are different, but it's an interesting comparison.

IC1936_ DSLR40d_ASI1600.jpg

4 minutes ago, des anderson said:

Both images are outstanding.........But for me the cannon one just pips the other. Yeah,  I know the stars are bigger and not so well controlled, Des

Thanks Des, I have an old CLS filter, non-CCD version, and I suspect this causes the stars to get large.

I think the level of detail in the 1600 image is exceptional, and silky smooth.

3 minutes ago, Craney said:

What camera was used in the H-Alpha shot, and is your 40D modded ??  ( to help compare )

Hi Sean, there are small labels on the images.  The left image is my modded canon 40d, this is shot in normal mode only with a LPF and then converted to greyscale for the image.  The right side image is the ZWO ASI1600MM-cooled camera.  Richard kindly sent me the stacked data straight from his hard drive, and I just ran it through APP and PS very very quickly.

Aye....   clear tonight = no camera

cloudy tomorrow = an opened parcel and a yearning.....

You are doing all the sensible asking of questions, I just locked on the target and fired....  Your pictures will outclass any of mine. In fact, your Ele' trunk will take some beating even using a cooled CCD with knobs on.

15 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The ASI image is way better in terms of definition and contrast. What bandwidth was the HII filter? Looks like 3nm.

I don’t know that information Dave!  It’s not really a fair comparison due to different exposure lengths and one being broadband!

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

5nm Astrodon. It should also be noted that the Asi image has 7 hrs exposure vs 2 for the dslr image and no processing has been done to the Asi image @tooth_dr just ddp stretch in APP? 

Thanks Richard.  Yes I just did a contrast boost on the ASI image, as this is my personal taste.  I had to do a bit of processing to the DSLR image to get it to resemble anything like the ASI image.

14 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

As another comparison for balance (and equal scientific value) keep the colour data from the Canon 40D and see how much more colourful it is compared to the ASI :)

Yes I think it might be more colourful.

Archived