NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 19th May - slow process!

Tommohawk

Hi All. Last couple of years I've had great views to the south and managed some pleasing Jupiters, but now back to a very small southerly window and struggling to get anything much esp with Jupiter so low.

I went to my my local dark sky site for this - not so much for the sky as just to get a view to the south and South east so I could get set up in plenty of time. Clouds rolled in at 11.30 so this was shot a while before maximum elevation. Tried again a couple of nights later from home and the set up was good - I get about 40 mins on Jupiter between trees but the seeing was awful. So this might be my best shot this time round.

Then I had the windows update debacle and lost my set - up though not my data fortunately - and have only just got round to processing this. On holiday in the Algarve at the moment as luck would have it with great views of Jupiter and wishing Ryanair would have somehow made room for my planetary set up. 

Anyhow this was a single 2 minute run of RGB processed with Autostakkert (best 15%) Winjupos (R as Lum 60%) and Registax with a tiny tweak in PS and 10% image size reduction. I tried combining multiple 2 minute runs but the earlier ones were really pants and the single latest was best. 

Kit was Quattro 250 with trusty powermate x5 and ASI290MM. Hope you like it, all comments gratefully received. It's the boring side - no GRS, and no moons or shadows. 

2018-05-19-2218_2-R_g6_ap29_RS-L0.6RGB_PS.png.0cf60e95e83fadf9bd59e2c512e216b9.png

Thanks for the likes and comments folks!

I really wanted to check out the Quattro 250 to see how well it would double for planetary - I think this proves it's passably capable, but it's not up to the same standard I got with my 200PDS last year.

The low elevation and limited seeing doesn't really make for a fair test, so I cant really tell whether the extra aperture is helping. In any event, I've found the Quattro 10S a bit of a beast so I may revert to a 200 for DSOs and a dobbie for planetary. That's the current plan anyhow..... next week's plan will be different of course! ?

Archived