Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The future of DSLR imaging

Daniel-K

Its an interesting idea, but to be quite honest I don't see the point. I mean, for those prices you could get a far higher quality CCD which would have the same if not less noise, and also not have the crippling weight. 

The only fancy thing I can see that's worth doing with a DSLR in the future is to extend the ribbon cable from the body to the sensor, then integrate it into the secondary mirror assembly with a cooler for prime-focus imaging inside the tube. If it wasn't that people want to do visual observing and imaging with the same scope, I reckon that would be the norm by now, anyway.

John

Yep, I agree, get a proper cooled CMOS for 1/4 the  price.

And they seem to have PASSIVE cooling not a fan in sight?!!!

57 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

The only fancy thing I can see that's worth doing with a DSLR in the future is to extend the ribbon cable from the body to the sensor, then integrate it into the secondary mirror assembly with a cooler for prime-focus imaging inside the tube.

Neat idea

1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

The only fancy thing I can see that's worth doing with a DSLR in the future is to extend the ribbon cable from the body to the sensor, then integrate it into the secondary mirror assembly with a cooler for prime-focus imaging inside the tube.

John

Interesting idea. You could actually try this with a raspberry pi camera. This is just a small imaging chip on a carrier. A bit too small and poor quality for serious AP, but for testing purposes, and fun in tinkering, that would be neat to try. I did some tests a while few years back, with one of these cameras fitted in a plastic end cap for a drainage pipe (= 1.25"), and did some planetary work with it. Imaging at prime focus would involve more DIY. Finding the right focal point would be harder.

On 01/06/2018 at 21:56, Stub Mandrel said:

And they seem to have PASSIVE cooling not a fan in sight?!!!

On 02/06/2018 at 09:42, doormij said:

These cooled dslrs cameras work WITHOUT the need for a computer to control cooling?

There is an optional active cooling device, that connects to the bottom of the camera. Has two small fans and several cable connections to the cylindrical cooler. There is no pc connection it seems, but yahc (yet another handcontroller).

Who needs a computer when one can have a goto mount with hc, a standalone guider with hc,  a motorfocus with hc, the cooled camera with hc and an intervallometer? Just make sure you pack enough AAA, AA, CR2032, Li-ion etc, etc batteries.

Archived