Usb hub question

Quick question.

My setup has usb connections for qhy8l main camera. Orion Starshoot guide camera and eqdir cable for mount. I want to add a joypad for ease of mount slew etc. Will all of these function correctly and allow alot less cables with a usb hub?

Cheers for answers

Stu

short answer is yes but as with everything quality matters. be sure to get a powered hub if this is the way you go. Personally, I prefer to have everything running straight to the pc. Just one less thing to go wrong :D

USB Hubs - from some of the threads on SGL this is a minefield.  

I guess a lot depends on how far back to computer you need to go. The longer the run then quite obviously the more difficult it becomes.

I think some people seem to run without issues and some seem to have no end of trouble. From the threads I have read on this subject the usual advice seems to apply whereby you generally get what you pay for, both with cables and hubs.

Seems to be you need a good quality powered hub and all good quality USB cables, the lindy Cromo range of cables come highly recommended and are a very reasonable price. To me they seem very robust cables. These are available from Amazon and now also FLO.

Regarding the hub I originally bought what I thought was a reasonable priced 4 way USB hub (I think I paid around £25 from Amazon) but still had issues. In the end after some advice from a thread I started bought a 4 way USB over Ehernet. Not cheap at £135 but since I have had no issues at all, it is a real nice small unit and as a bonus can be over 10M away from mount (up to 50M).

4 way USB over Ethernet powerd hub

But loads of threads on SGL about this if you have a search.

Steve

3 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

Quick question.

My setup has usb connections for qhy8l main camera. Orion Starshoot guide camera and eqdir cable for mount. I want to add a joypad for ease of mount slew etc. Will all of these function correctly and allow alot less cables with a usb hub?

Cheers for answers

Stu

I use a star tech 7 port usb 2.0  powered hub no problems .

1 minute ago, bottletopburly said:

I’d opt for usb3 now ?

Definitely...in fact it was the purchase of a guide camera with USB3 that initiated my swap. The camera did work with the USB2 hub, but I was getting a few issues (disconnections) and I assumed these were down to the limited bandwidth with the older spec. I've not really had a chance to test in anger yet though!

Steve

Archived