Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader CoolCeramic Hershel diagonal P or V?

The visual version is perfectly adequate and safe for visual.

Although my grass always looks a funny colour after observing for a while, I enjoy the brightness and contrast and don’t feel the need for additional filters.

7 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

I have the P. Mostly used for visual but I felt the price difference was justified to future proof for AP (occasionally). 

Does it make the image too dark to see fine detail?

8 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Richard, the standard product is perfectly safe so why not just enjoy the brightness and detail? Do you intend to do solar imaging?

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Richard, the standard product is perfectly safe so why not just enjoy the brightness and detail? Do you intend to do solar imaging?

I don't own one yet Stu! :angry7:  Just researching :icon_scratch:

19 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Worth checking out the 2” Lacerta Hershel Wedge. The equal of the Baader visually and superior for AP and a lot cheaper. I’ve owned both and really couldn’t tell any difference visually.

What sort of powers did you use these up to John? I suspect the differences really become clear at very high power. Would be interested to view through a Lacerta though, good product by the sounds of it.

53 minutes ago, 25585 said:

You can remove the additional filters if required. It is a cost issue - the V is perfect for visual only and future proofing with the P is dependent on a) will you likely use for AP, b) are you happy to pay the extra?

Sensible to research as you are doing before making your decision. 

I really couldn’t tell any difference at the highest magnification. I had the feeling the Lacerta might have been slightly better but as I wasn’t comparing them side by side could be wrong. It’s a close run thing though.

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Baade4 is an excellent piece of kit but the Lacerta makes you realise that Baader really needs to cut the price to a more reasonable level.

Don't forget that the Baader includes £120 of Continuum filter which evens things up somewhat.

Though you may need the lower profile replacement instead of the click lock standard - depends on the scope. 

Here are the items needed:

The following items were included in this shipment: 

1    "Baader #27 to fit DSLR to Herschel or Maxbright Diagonal" 
Price: £26.50

1    "Baader ClickLock 1.25" Eyepiece Adapter with T-2 Thread" 
Price: £65.00

Order Number:    PO65160

Date:    24 Aug 2015

Delivery Method:    UK Royal Mail

Archived