Improving a Skywatcher Heritage 130P even more

Mark at Beaufort

I really enjoy my Heritage 130P not only as a quick grab and go but also great for travel and outreach events.

There has been criticism about the focuser but I have always found that holding the two retailing screws you can get very sharp focus. I know that Neil English had a different procedure which worked for him very well. However, two things that frustrated me was not been able to use 1.25" filters in the focuser but having to screw the filter into the eyepiece each time they were changed. Secondly you cannot use 2" eyepieces. Well I think I have resolved both issues. I noticed on eBay this converter and I thought for under £12 it was worth a punt. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Well-Built-2-to-1-25-Eyepiece-Converter-for-Telescopes-Brand-New-HOT-SALE/372154288916?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Well it arrived this morning and I was able to test it with a variety of EPs. It is useful that the Heritage 130P is a flextube because you can vary the sharp focus by moving the secondary closer to the primary. 

I screwed a 1.25" filter into the adapter and tested my 30mm Revelation and 13mm Ethos. I had to re-balance for the Ethos but the image of a distant aerial was very sharp. Of course the big test is the night sky. The Revelation (much lighter) gives a true field of 3.18 degrees although the exit pupil is 5.91. Good test to see both parts of the Veil.

Here are a few photos to show what it is like.

IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6337.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

It is useful that the Heritage 130P is a flextube because you can vary the focal length by moving the secondary closer to the primary. On average this is about 20/25mm which changes the focal length of the OTA to about 625mm making it about f/4.8

Not quite right there. The FL cannot be changed unless you regrind the mirror! Shortening the trusses means that the focal plane is being moved further outside the tube but the FL itself will not change. 

Good luck with the night time tests though. Looks like it will make for a more versatile excellent little scope, I'd watch for vignetting though with the 2" EPs

10 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Not quite right there. The FL cannot be changed unless you regrind the mirror! Shortening the trusses means that the focal plane is being moved further outside the tube but the FL itself will not change. 

Good luck with the night time tests though. Looks like it will make for a more versatile excellent little scope, I'd watch for vignetting though with the 2" EPs

Thanks Craig I did not appreciate that. It just shows that SGL provides a constant knowledge experience. I have changed the original thread to state the correct situation.

34 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'd be curious to know how wide of a field stop you can use before vignetting becomes objectionable.  Do you have some wider TFOV 2" eyepieces you could try to find out?

I will use my Myraid 20mm 100 degree EP to see what the view is like. But as you say I might get some vignetting which might restrict their use. However, I assume the 13mm Ethos will be ok because its both 1.25" and 2".

Just now, 25585 said:

A shame there is no 150 Heritage flextube. 

There is a slot for one, with little top drum, r&p focuser & an extra rod IMO. It would still be compact. 

Yes I agree. If there was a 150 Heritage flextube I would be first in line. They are so compact and light.

Archived