Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How: Drift Alignment

Hi SGL, m looking for good links / instructions on how to drift align? In the northern hamisphere , using a reflector scope, on NEQ6 Pro mount 

i have read a few articles and the concept totally went over my wooden head! (For example if I am using a reflector I need to reverse the directions...)

i heard Drift Alignment can help achieving great star accuracy without guiding, and sadly I am low on budget to get guiding at the moment ?

thanks!!!

30 minutes ago, spillage said:

Hi @lnlarxg

Are you using a computer with your mount, do you use your gear for visual or imaging?

Mark.

Hi Mark, no just the synscan no computer attached. I use my canon 550d and backyard Eos as camera control (sometimes just the intervalometer). 

I manually P.A. with a EQ CG-5 mount with tracking motors . I was always low budget also . But I bought a IR ( Illuminated Reticle ) double cross hair . For me alignment works the same as the camera in the link above but without my camera . I like to watch and see the star drift and the direction it's going . I'm an old timer , I like this technique cause that's the best way I know how . But you can center your guide star at first then I quickly move the star to the outer edge of the IR with the remote then I adjust the IR lines to center the star in between the lines . You have to loosen the IR in the diagonal to do this . I do this a couple times to assure that when I center the star and then move it to the outside edge of the IR that it stays in between the lines from center to edge . Then I do the drift alignment using the azimuth knobs on the mount . At first the star may drift fast for the first few minutes but it gradually slows down to where drift stays put . But when I do this I move the star out half way from center to edge but still inside the double lines . Usually takes me about 30 minutes for drift align . But I also do the same with alt alignment . that takes about 5 minutes . 

It's a good idea to try and get your head round what you're doing and why rather than blindly follow instructions.

Also the shorter you're focal length the slower the drift and if you take a while mechanical tolerances in the mount will come into play.

The DARV method is quick and very good using  DSLR.

Dave

Archived