SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter from last night

This is my first go at planetary imaging for a couple of years and I'm amazed I still remembered which software to use! 150 pds scope, EOS 550 D, crop movie mode, Here are images obtained using a 2 X and a 3 X Barlow. Processed using PIPP, Auto stakkert, Registax for wavelets and PS to finish off. both images were about 1200 frames.

My guess is that my processing skills are pretty basic so any suggestions welcome!

2 X barlow

5b002e170f852_Jupiter2Xmediso.png.1303aa6c13ec3edacc8b403e79d05a8c.png

3 X Barlow

5b002e17c76d5_Jupiter3Xhighiso.png.c3ec71c1ae4fa00452b1a40a7d75cfc6.png

Nice :) I tried with 130PDS and Canon 1300D, the results were... (I will keep silent in this are ;) ), lets say, not even close ;)

I the main thing I struggle with, is focus... 

How do you manage to get focused with x3 Barlow as stars become very large and foggy... It usually makes me leave focusing step based on the intuition rather than on actual picture.

That’s a very nice image, plenty of detail in there. I guess the biggest problem is what looks like atmospheric CA because the planet is so low. I’m sure one of the imagers could help perhaps with alignIng the red and blue channels if they are able to be separated. I’ve no idea what I’m talking about really though ;) 

24 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Nice :) I tried with 130PDS and Canon 1300D, the results were... (I will keep silent in this are ;) ), lets say, not even close ;)

I the main thing I struggle with, is focus... 

How do you manage to get focused with x3 Barlow as stars become very large and foggy... It usually makes me leave focusing step based on the intuition rather than on actual picture.

I focus on the planet in live view... I try and get to a point where moving the focuser either way makes it worse.

Archived