Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mono CCD question

Possibly a stupid question but I’ve seen a nice Atik 16IC-S for sale and it seems as good an entry to CCD photography as any plus I can use it as a guide cam as and when I upgrade. 

Do I need any filters at all to just capture in black & white? I assume not but just wanted to be sure. 

Just now, Demonperformer said:

I like - even prefer - monochrome images.

I much prefer working in B&W in ‘normal’ photography and have a love of non-bayer filter cameras to pull out the fine detail so a mono CCD is up my street:)

A quick search and to me it looks like a 314..dont know it it has the same chip.. I have a 16hr for introducing myself into the world of ccd's ...ive been more than happy with it even if I'm not totally understanding it..its like another language...anyway your potential camera throws up images like this if you know what you're doing 

I_9_original.jpg

Use a UV/IR cut filter. This is a very old camera with tiny chip and quite large pixels but if it's very inexpensive then you can learn a lot with it and move it on as a guide camera later, as you say. Our dual Tak rig is guided by a 16ic. The best images I ever saw from this were by John Punnet. http://jpastronomy.co.uk/archive.html

Olly

20 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Use a UV/IR cut filter. This is a very old camera with tiny chip and quite large pixels but if it's very inexpensive then you can learn a lot with it and move it on as a guide camera later, as you say. Our dual Tak rig is guided by a 16ic. The best images I ever saw from this were by John Punnet. http://jpastronomy.co.uk/archive.html

Olly

Thanks Olly. What would you think is a reasonable price?

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

Thanks Olly. What would you think is a reasonable price?

I've no expertise in this matter. I do tend to sell items at their minimum, rather than their maximum, possible price because I'm a provider with an eye on my wider reputation. I wouldn't want to come across as hard nosed. If I were to offer a perfectly good 16ic for sale I think I'd probably ask £200.

Olly

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've no expertise in this matter. I do tend to sell items at their minimum, rather than their maximum, possible price because I'm a provider with an eye on my wider reputation. I wouldn't want to come across as hard nosed. If I were to offer a perfectly good 16ic for sale I think I'd probably ask £200.

Olly

Ah ok. RVO have a mint 16IC-S for £240 so given they’re retail that’s about the right money though. 

Torn between it and just seeing how far I can push my 500D but at some point I am going to want to guide and it’ll do an excellent job of that. 

Archived