Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ EQ6 - focusing the polar scope and reticle

jarbi

Hi,

I have started to use my new mount and I don't find any instructions ( paper or online ) on this topic. What I exactly mean: by turning the back end of the polar scope I can focus the polar scope, but the reticle is not in focus when Polaris is focused. Before I start trying and tinkering maybe someone knows how to get the reticle and Polaris focused at the same time.

My idea would be to focus the reticle first. After that I would need to know where/what else can I turn to reach focus on stars. My polar scope is already aligned with the RA axis btw, so those 3 grub screws are out of game ;-).

Clear skies,

Janos

If you are able to get stars focused, that's all you can do. I have the older version of the reticule, which is just for northern skies, so all I would do for a rough alignment is to put Polaris in the little circle, when the mount is rotated to the appropriate 'hour' setting. After that, to be honest, it would be better to do the polar alignment using the main scope & the procedure in the manual.

I've given up entirely on the polar scope & use a Polemaster, but others use the PHD2 or Sharpcap procedures, & in the end its a lot less hassle bending under the scope to look up....

Julian en John, thanks for chiming in ! I decided to figure out how it's done EXACTLY, because the manual doesn't answer my question.

So here it is how it works: 

1, Remove the polar scope by using some kind of vice/jaws.

I have protected the tube by surrondig it with a thick layer of textile before I tried to loosen it, but it was not difficult.

2, Focus the reticle as usual to see the hour marks sharply.

2, Now the tricky bit ;-). As I discovered, right behind the scaled silver ring is a smaller black ring, you need to loosen it to be able to focus the polar scope on a far object.

PS.JPG.1aa13a974865655c7d2b1ea9e61fda35.JPG

In my case I needed the vice to turn the back part of the scope ( the whole piece right to the silver ring ). The thread was full of loctite I believe. But after that I was able to get to good focus. 

Now I have my reticle AND the stars sharp as well. In the good focus position I tightened the ring at the red arrow again to prevent turning the back side any further.

There is a price for this though: it can happen - like I have experienced - that the hour positions in the polar scope are not correct anymore due to the fact that we have turned the back side of the scope ( including reticle ).

In my case it was just a 20-30 degrees difference, so I inserted a thin washer under the polar scope (where it goes to the mount ) to solve this.

That's it, I hope I could help other people in the same situation,

Clear skies,

Janos

Well Done, but I bet on a cold winters' night, if you have any form of computer with you, then you forego the dubious pleasure of bending down to look up the scope, & try one of the electronic versions which are far more accurate than the polar scope, which was only fitted due to 'custom'....

59 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Well Done, but I bet on a cold winters' night, if you have any form of computer with you, then you forego the dubious pleasure of bending down to look up the scope, & try one of the electronic versions which are far more accurate than the polar scope, which was only fitted due to 'custom'....

Thanks ;-). I use this one instead of bending down: https://www.astromarket.org/monteringen-en-toebehoren/polar-finders/amici-prism-for-polar-finder-scope, very convenient ! As I experience a good manual alignment is more than enough for me and allows perfect guiding even on my 10" Skywatcher reflector. 

Dont know if you have every watched this on you tube but it also shows how inaccurate these devices can be and how to correct some of the problems - But I support Julian why spend 114E on a prism when Sharpcap Polar alignment is free or Polemaster(not free) are far more accurate. But then as you pointed out  "alignment is more than enough for me " which is all that counts :icon_biggrin:

Archived