NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 12 inch Dob ordered!

6 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Bill Paolini certainly rated the Morpheus range very highly indeed, and at $100 cheaper than the Lunt the 9mm is definitely a strong contender. So many choices!

17.5mm is the best. Superb!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, John said:

A 12" aperture deserves at least one 100 degree window onto space :grin:

And that's exactly the feeling I want to achieve John, as if I'm looking out of my spaceship window as I'm approaching my target!

Oh well, one thing at a time, it's Saturday here now and I'm off to collect my scope in a couple of hours! :hello2:

40 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

And that's exactly the feeling I want to achieve John, as if I'm looking out of my spaceship window as I'm approaching my target!

Oh well, one thing at a time, it's Saturday here now and I'm off to collect my scope in a couple of hours! :hello2:

Don't forget collimation stuff.

40 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Be sure and post a picture soon as you can ! I'd love to see it just be envious ! 

Well Congrats from the Netherlands Geoff, great scope you've bought, I have the the 10'' version and have some great views so your 12" is going to be awesome.

Clear skies and I envy you allready on the views of the Omega Centauri glob!

The Beast is here, and my goodness it's big!

Apart from rendering our lounge temporarily unusable, I have to say I am mightily impressed with both the packaging, which is exemplary, foam padding within boxes within boxes, and the solid, weighty build of the components. Family commitments have meant at 5pm I have only just begun to put it together but here are the first pics .....

(more to follow).....

Dob 1.jpg

Dob 2.jpg

Dob 3.jpg

...and there she is!

I'm about 6 feet tall so she's a big girl, and hefty too.

My dear old C4R in the background looks like a finder scope now!

I noticed some high cloud moving in as the sun was setting, so I'd better go out and see if it's worth hauling her out.

(Watch this space).....

Dob 4.jpg

Darn it, hazy cloud cover now with a milky moon softly shining. Back to grotty weather for the next week too, so I'm going to have time to thoroughly acquaint myself with her now.

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

...and there she is!

I'm about 6 feet tall so she's a big girl, and hefty too.

My dear old C4R in the background looks like a finder scope now!

I noticed some high cloud moving in as the sun was setting, so I'd better go out and see if it's worth hauling her out.

(Watch this space).....

Dob 4.jpg

Very nice Geoff. Just need a Shroud. Have you tried out the electrics yet?

2 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Very nice Geoff. Just need a Shroud. Have you tried out the electrics yet?

I'm wrestling with the instruction manual now. Electrics are not one of my strong points so it may take a while.

First light may well be a while away yet!  

3 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I'm wrestling with the instruction manual now. Electrics are not one of my strong points so it may take a while.

First light may well be a while away yet!  

Not mine either, though my first ever mount had RA drive but was low tech UK make & was fine. 

Well I've figured out how to get the Power Tank charging, so need to leave that overnight now and see how we go in the morning. Then need to sort out collimation and get the guide scope lined up accurately, then watch the rain come down! ?

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Still have to decide between a laser or just plain old Cheshire.

Went to get one this afternoon and the shop was shut (on a Saturday!).

I have the same decision. Got a Cheshire but a Howie Glatter laser & Tublug is tempting. It's a Plan B though. 

3 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Still have to decide between a laser or just plain old Cheshire.

Went to get one this afternoon and the shop was shut (on a Saturday!).

I use the cheshire approach. I've had a few lasers (including some good ones) but I now find the cheshire method intuative and fast. My favourite cheshire is actually a low cost plastic one that came with a Skywatcher scope years back. It works a treat and I can tell immediately what, if any, adjustement is needed. Often none is the answer ! :smiley:

27 minutes ago, John said:

I use the cheshire approach. I've had a few lasers (including some good ones) but I now find the cheshire method intuative and fast. My favourite cheshire is actually a low cost plastic one that came with a Skywatcher scope years back. It works a treat and I can tell immediately what, if any, adjustement is needed. Often none is the answer ! :smiley:

Bigger brighter mirrors in short tubes are fiddliest but also easiest. Flextube should be easy. 

Collimating in the dark, a laser must be better, as big knobs to turn also. 

Once things are good, it will be worth the hassle. 

8 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Bigger brighter mirrors in short tubes are fiddliest but also easiest. Flextube should be easy. 

Collimating in the dark, a laser must be better, as big knobs to turn also. 

Once things are good, it will be worth the hassle. 

I can only say what I've found to work the best for me with my scope. Your experiences may be different from mine. Probably are in fact.

Archived