Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions for a first scope

If your velux windows open and the attic is unheated then you might manage something. There are members who have gear pointing out of an attic but from memory it wasn't in an eq mount.

If you are observing from a balcony then you may find telescopes with the eyepiece at the bottom like a mak, sct or refractor better as a reflector telescope of any size might have you leaning over the balcony trying to position your eye to observe.

Edit - perhaps it depends on how big deep your balcony is.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus one for having a design with the eyepiece at the back for the balcony- and definitely not a dob (depending on the size of your balcony, of course).

Dominic- a winter balcony observer

8 hours ago, PaulConfused said:

Looks like the balcony then. As we back onto a river we have no garden. 

I'd advise a careful survey of the balcony before committing substantial funds. While stable enough for casual visual observing, it may not be rigid enough to support a telescope and mount with the rigidity required for serious imaging.  More experienced members can advise, but if you borrow a high-powered telescope and can see any image shift at all when walking on the balcony, that could be a no-no.

The balcony is huge about 4.5 foot by 15 foot, but, I'd have to check on wobble.

Much food for thought there and a lot that might have saved me from an expensive mistake, but, hey! that's the whole point of this thread, eh?

Yes, I think I've definitely grasped the 2 scope necessity.

The image in my avatar was my camera with a 210mm lens on a tripod in one shot, and for general wide skyscapes I use a 12mm. I guess I just need to investigate the imaging lots more.

At least for now it appears I've solved number 1 problem which is observing. *fingers crossed*

What about the bundle instead with the azgti mount.

One is handset the other uses application on tablet. The latter has freedom find. Though I hadn't realised there was such a price difference.

I like my Celestron liFEpo4 battery. Very light. But it is 12v and does not use a cig lighter socket.

16 hours ago, PaulConfused said:

I presume with a powertank this would also be good to take up on the moors around the Calderdale.

14 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I am wondering if the EQ3-2 can have the trick done so that observing using it is like and Alt Az mount,

If you are considering taking the kit up on to the moors, a dedicated Az/Alt mount will be lighter, as an equatorial mount will have the additional balance weights.

Also consider the difference between the systems with a dedicated Synscan handset, and the WiFi version that uses a mobile phone or tablet, running an equivalent app. I found it difficult to locate the "virtual" buttons on my tablet's touch screen whilst looking in the eyepiece, whereas you can feel the real buttons on a dedicated handset. Your experience may differ.

Geoff

Ok, just finished reading through the thread on the GTi. A real game changer for me.

I think I'll certainly be making one of those bundles my first purchase. The ability to use imaging gear on the same mount to an extent and the firmware upgrades make this n ideal choice for my first scope.

Many thanks for your advice and help and patience,

Exactly, Happy-kat. You can still have the handset, the extra dosh is just for the wifi ability. I've downloaded the app to have a look around and the thread is very informative. Also, I found a video where a guy have got it working as an eq with a camera. 

You can put the app in test emulator mode and use it to see a bit more of the app.

This is the thread. link here

Great video link, I think he is a user on here but I can't recall his username has a small carry on case with gear when travelling as a pilot if it is the same person I am thinking of (found see next link). (Android doesn't need two devices as far as I have read)

Another link link here

Hi Paul, if you go with a Maksutov 127, and a great scope, keep in mind these are generally considered a superb Luna and planet/double star scope, some people dont suggest them for deep sky, and i will admit they are not the first choice, but with a 32mm plossl ep they will still show a lot of dso objects on a good night, they are not really an imaging scope unless doing Solar system like Luna and planets, but still a great scope, with a huge following, almost never need collimation, they do benefit from a dew shield, my present scope is a 127 Mak that i have owned twice, bought it new, never really used it as i had a 150 pro Maksutov, ended up selling it....some years passed and i got offered to purchase it back, its now my main scope

Archived