70mm Skies 2018-05-08

iPeace

Arguably belated, this summary report of a session a few nights back might not have been written up if not for the recent surge in interest regarding what a good 70mm scope can do. :smile: It's just a few markings I made in SkySafari, with one or two words per target. The first word is a yes or no: could I make it out at all? The second word - only applicable if the first word is a 'yes' - is also a yes or no: was it worth the effort / any fun? Obviously subjective and one night's conditions, so for what it's worth.

Gear: Borg 71FL (OK, I'm 1mm over), 18.2mm DeLite, 9mm T6 Nagler, 3-6 Nagler Zoom, Baader SkySurfer III RDF, Borg geared alt-az mount on Sirui carbon tripod.

Note: a few of these targets may not have made any sense to try anyway. I didn't prepare this session in any significant way (other than making sure I was wearing trousers), I was just having a go.

Ursa Major

• ** HR 3725 : No
  • Gx NGC 2841 : Yes Yes (faint)
  • ** HR 3743 : Yes Yes
  • ** h Ursae Majoris : Yes Yes
  • Gx M82 : Yes Yes
  • Gx M81 : Yes Yes
  • Gx NGC 2976 : No
  • Gx NGC 3184 : No
  • PN M97 : Yes Yes (faint, AV)
  • Gx M108 : Yes No (very faint, AV)
  • ** Xi Ursae Majoris : Yes Yes (tight)
  • ** 62 Ursae Majoris : Yes Yes
  • ** 57 Ursae Majoris : No
  • ** HD 105421 : Yes Yes
  • ** M40 : Yes Yes
  • ** Zeta Ursae Majoris : Yes Yes
  • Gx M101 : Yes Yes (faint, AV)

Canes Venatici

• Gx NGC 4449 : Yes Yes (faint, AV)
  • Gx M106 : Yes Yes (AV)
  • * La Superba : Yes Yes

By now, it was 2 AM and I was thinking of bed. But it was such a great night, so I turned to Cygnus to be overwhelmed as I always am by the sudden density there. I even took a few steps towards the bag with filters, but decided against fiddling with them in my drowsy state. Settled on a few favorites ('yes' all the way from here).

Cygnus

• ** Albireo
  • OC M29
  • OC NGC 6910

Cassiopeia

• OC NGC 457
  • OC M52
  • Asterism - The Ray (above M52)

So probably no surprises, but a faithful impression of a good session with a good scope.

:happy11:

DSC_1574.thumb.JPG.67af1e375a5ddb38e92bf3d3fbfc3b21.JPG

Very nice! We sometimes forget how many of the astronomical discoveries we take for granted were made with 3" scopes, although in the past I suppose they had less LP to contend with - well unless they were burning witches/astronomers nearby!

Chris

Agreed this is a great report and it does illustrate just how much visual astronomy a small scope in skilled hands can do :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

..... Just shows size doesn't matter. 

Until you want to resolve deep into a globular cluster :wink:

57 minutes ago, John said:

Agreed this is a great report and it does illustrate just how much visual astronomy a small scope in skilled hands can do :icon_biggrin:

Until you want to resolve deep into a globular cluster :wink:

Found that M13 and M92 were just blobs got my 8" out looked at them much better could discern individual stars.

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Found that M13 and M92 were just blobs got my 8" out looked at them much better could discern individual stars.

M13 was resolving in the Tak quite nicely the other night, with better dark adaptation it would have looked much better. Can’t recall if I’ve seen the propeller in this v the scope, I think I have but will check back to see.

36 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have never seen the propeller in either scope and maybe if I had dark skies I could get better results with the Tal

I’m sure that would be the case. SGLSP this year Paul?

7 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m sure that would be the case. SGLSP this year Paul?

At Hereford no sorry Stu I am either going Galloway or the Llyn Peninsula in October not made my mind up yet  see how much off season cottage is.

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

At Hereford no sorry Stu I am either going Galloway or the Llyn Peninsula in October not made my mind up yet  see how much off season cottage is.

That’s a shame Paul, but hopefully you will get some clear dark skies wherever you go 

Archived