Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Morpheus 12.5?

Hi all, before winter (Canada) I purchased a Meade Lightbridge 12” which came with some pretty bad eyepieces. Maybe with the exception of a 2” Meade 26mm that I’m pretty sure came with the telescope when it was bought new. It seems pretty good to my amateur eyes but I’m looking for diversification.

My local space store (lol) has some of the Morpheus’s on sale and some ES 82 on sale aswell. I was thinking a 12.5 or 14mm Morpheus, or equivalent ES82. Would these be a good choice for my f5 scope? 

I should have added the Baader is about 70$ (CDN) more than the ES. I’m also looking at the Meade 5000 series 82 degree, the problem with these is amazon doesn’t have any between 8.8mm and 20mm in stock (neither does my local store). And I was looking to get a 14 or the 12.5 as I can’t imagine such a big difference between 12.5 and 14?

Based on everything I have read on these I would go for the Morpheus out of these choices. If you plan to buy more eyepieces from the same range I would choose the 12.5mm over the 14mm as I think the "spacing" to other focal lengths is a better fit.

I have owned the 14mm and now have the 17.5mm Morpheus and rate both very highly. My scopes are slower but I believe they do work well at F5. The 12.5 would give you c120x (1500 scope focal length/12.5 eyepiece focal length) and the 14 would give you c106x. I'd agree that the 120x of the 12.5 would be nice and with a x2 Barlow lens you could get x240 high power (they do Barlow well).

The 76 deg field of the Morpheus is very immersive and gives the spacewalk feel!.

Oh, and they have decent eye relief and good accessories included.

Good luck,

Dave

On 5/10/2018 at 06:06, Prester John said:

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ve placed the Morpheus 12.5 on reserve and will be picking it up tonight :)

cheers

Let us know how you get on with it.  I've got you bookended with the 9mm and 14mm Morpheuses (Morpheii?).  The 9mm has the flatter field of the two and has less edge aberrations at f/6.  Neither is as well corrected as my 10mm Delos, but the Delos is noticeably narrower in AFOV and much more expensive, so there is that to consider.

Archived