Omega Centauri - Mark at Beaufort delight

From my other report you will be aware that I have been observing with an Astronomy Club based in North California. Yesterday morning a club member sent me an email wanting to know whether I would go to the dark site again to try and observe Omega Centauri. He kindly picked me up and drove up the mountain road to the observing site.

The site has a 17.5 inch Newtonian based on a Eq mount which is solar powered. Ross had his Celestron 9.25 SCT and I simply took some Celestron 12x70 Binos.

The sky in Livermore had been crystal clear all day and this continued throughout the night. You cannot imagine the quality and transparency of the sky and this mountain location.

Ross and I had agreed on a number of objects to observe but NGC 5128 (Centaurus A) and NGC 5139 (Omega Centauri) were the prime targets.

This is the observing list - NGC 2371 and 2372, NGC 2392, M68, M83, NGC 3115, NGC 3242, M67, M95, M96, M105, NGC 3384,NGC 3607, NGC 3608, M13 with NGC 6207, M12, M10, M14, M4, M80 and M9.

Finally the big event. I could see the main stars of Centaurus with the naked eye. I panned for Omega Centauri with the binos and there it was - big and beautiful. We then viewed it with the 9.25 SCT and the big Newt. You cannot imagine the size and brightness of this GC. A sight I will never forget. With the Newt I then search for Centaurus A and again a great view in these crystal claer skies. I ended the night viewing the Antennae galaxies again with the 17.5 inch scope.

So there it is after many yaers of waiting I have seen this fabulous DSO.

I will always be grateful to Ross and the support from TVS Astronomy Club to allow me on to their private site to use their equipment.

I attach a few photos.

san fran-2820.jpg

san fran-2812.jpg

Fabulous... 

NGC 5139 (Omega Centauri), NGC 5128 (Centaurus A) and M83 make for a wonderful session as you sweep from one to t'other don't they...

I remember each morning's viewing fondly from the terrace of the house in La Palma this March ... It actually knocked Namibia's October viewings sideways. Each morning in both scope and binoculars they were breathtaking. I can only imagine what the 17.5" yielded :thumbsup:

Enjoy the rest of your trip

Fantastic report Mark :icon_biggrin:

I hope to see Omega Centauri when I'm in Australia later this year. I doubt that I've have access so such wonderful equipment though !

Will you ever want to observe the deep sky from murky UK skies again I wonder ? :p

6 hours ago, John said:

Will you ever want to observe the deep sky from murky UK skies again I wonder ? :p

John I said the same thing to the guys at the Astronomy Club. Arrived back in the UK at 10am today. Looking forward to observing under the clear UK skies.

@John I know you like a bit of equipment history. Well I have just received an email from one of the TVS astronomers telling me that the 17.5 inch Newt that I used was given to them by Dr Jack Marling the founder of Lumicon. He was one of the founder members of this club.

On 8-5-2018 at 17:41, Mark at Beaufort said:

Finally the big event. I could see the main stars of Centaurus with the naked eye. I panned for Omega Centauri with the binos and there it was - big and beautiful. We then viewed it with the 9.25 SCT and the big Newt. You cannot imagine the size and brightness of this GC. A sight I will never forget.

Great report Mark,

I had to google Omega Centauri, that is one interesting object, lost of stuff to read about.

Must be great to see that one with a bino and in the eyepiece.

Archived