NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticstar ED80s Apo f6.25 Fluorite doublet

Hi I am off to Lanzarote in August and have thought about viewing Mars as it might be better placed than in the uk and I haven't really ever seen it in detail. I don't have a travel scope and so I'm thinking of getting this scope to take with me. Of course the skies in Lanzarote are supposed to be great - I've never been before, anyway I saw this scope for sale on ABS and wondered if anyone has used one and what your thoughts are about it being used as a travel scope to take on a plane and whether or not it'll fit the bill? Anyone have any other recommendations - I have a limited budget and will try and buy used so whilst I'd love something like a Tak or WO or a televue etc I can't really stretch to that for a travel scope.

steve 

Hi Steve,

A friend bought an Opticstar ED80 a couple of years ago. It looked great in the images and was cheap, but when it arrived it was as rough as rough gets. The tube looked like it had been covered in artex and the crayford focuser was diabolical. The lens edges hadn't been blackened. It was immediately returned for a replacement but that was no better. I had been trying to get my friend to invest in an Equinox 80 ED, but he resisted and thought he could get something as good for less. He couldn't! Really Steve, get an Eqinox 80 ED and you'll not regret it! The Equinox uses FPL53 fluoro crown not fluorite crystal but they are truly superb!! The Opticstar isnt fluorite, it may be FPL53, FPL51 or some similar incarnation of fluoro crown but I couldn't say which for sure. The Equinox is a known quantity!

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.thumb.jpg.80f5c1b28c73a67b0b2e18666d32345e.jpg

I've just bought a TS 72mm Photoline as a travel scope.  Not has any real opportunity to try it out yet, but it seems very well made, is relatively light and has a retractable dew shield so will easily fit in cabin luggage.  I was tempted by the Skywatcher 72ED, but for the moment at least it appears to be made of unobtanium and there's no definitive information as to when they'll be available so I wasn't at all convinced I'd be able to get one before going on holiday.

Here's my unboxing thread:

James

7 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The Opticstar isnt fluorite, it may be FPL53, FPL51 or some similar incarnation of fluoro crown but I couldn't say which for sure. The Equinox is a known quantity!

The Opticstar uses fpl53.

8 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Steve,

A friend bought an Opticstar ED80 a couple of years ago. It looked great in the images and was cheap, but when it arrived it was as rough as rough gets. The tube looked like it had been covered in artex and the crayford focuser was diabolical. The lens edges hadn't been blackened. It was immediately returned for a replacement but that was no better. I had been trying to get my friend to invest in an Equinox 80 ED, but he resisted and thought he could get something as good for less. He couldn't! Really Steve, get an Eqinox 80 ED and you'll not regret it! The Equinox uses FPL53 fluoro crown not fluorite crystal but they are truly superb!! The Opticstar isnt fluorite, it may be FPL53, FPL51 or some similar incarnation of fluoro crown but I couldn't say which for sure. The Equinox is a known quantity!

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.thumb.jpg.80f5c1b28c73a67b0b2e18666d32345e.jpg

I have an equinox 120 and it is fabulous I must admit.

5 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I have an equinox 120 and it is fabulous I must admit.

Agreed, the Equinox 120 is a dream telescope! I happily used an Equinox 120 for six years, then i bought a Equinox 80ED. I found I used the little Equinox, or baby Nox as I called it, much more often than I did the 120. What amazed me was  just how good the views of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus were in the baby Nox, especially when observed through a binoviewer. I remember during that first December after buying the little Equinox, sitting on my garden bench that was covered in frost for well over an hour. I'd only nipped out for a 5 minute look at the moon but was transfixed. The moon was jaw dropping in 3D, and when turning the little scope onto Jupiter, I observed five belts, the GRS hollow as well as the spot itself, and a shadow transit that was as black as Indian ink. And I could carry the whole thing with just one hand, mount and all!

In many ways I enjoyed myself more with the little Nox  than I did with the 120, and to me at least, the difference in performance on moon and planets wasn't that great. It was ultimately because of that amazing little Equinox 80ED  that I eventually decided to sell both the 80 and the 120, and buy a small but powerful 100mm lightweight Tak. It was the 80ED that made me appreciate the power of a good small scope rather than the larger 120. If all i had was an Equinox 80ED, I'd be very happy!

45 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Ok Mike, I'll find an Equinox 80 from somewhere and swap it for your Tak.  I like to see you happy!  :hello2:

Thanks Paul. You've always been a good friend, selflessly looking out for my interests ahead of your own. :icon_biggrin:

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Agreed, the Equinox 120 is a dream telescope! I happily used an Equinox 120 for six years, then i bought a Equinox 80ED. I found I used the little Equinox, or baby Nox as I called it, much more often than I did the 120. What amazed me was  just how good the views of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus were in the baby Nox, especially when observed through a binoviewer. I remember during that first December after buying the little Equinox, sitting on my garden bench that was covered in frost for well over an hour. I'd only nipped out for a 5 minute look at the moon but was transfixed. The moon was jaw dropping in 3D, and when turning the little scope onto Jupiter, I observed five belts, the GRS hollow as well as the spot itself, and a shadow transit that was as black as Indian ink. And I could carry the whole thing with just one hand, mount and all!

In many ways I enjoyed myself more with the little Nox  than I did with the 120, and to me at least, the difference in performance on moon and planets wasn't that great. It was ultimately because of that amazing little Equinox 80ED  that I eventually decided to sell both the 80 and the 120, and buy a small but powerful 100mm lightweight Tak. It was the 80ED that made me appreciate the power of a good small scope rather than the larger 120. If all i had was an Equinox 80ED, I'd be very happy!

Is the evostar 80ed as good as an equinox? 

Archived