Small Scope Saves My Sanity !!!

John

A fantastic report John, both the equipment and observing parts. As an inexperienced observer, having only ever owned one telescope, it was great to read what sort of astronomical objects could be seen with this type and size of scope. Thanks. I look forward hopefully to reading something about your southern hemisphere sky experiences.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, John said:

I have my scopes insured against accidental damage while on my property. It didn't cost that much.

I will check my house insurance. I think my scopes are already covered generally, did it when buying the Tak.

39 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I will check my house insurance. I think my scopes are already covered generally, did it when buying the Tak.

I have added my most expensive scopes (the Tak and the TMB/LZOS) as specified items but the other scopes were already covered. The additional cost of those two was a bit under £30 per year which seemed a good deal to me.

I am very glad to read this great experience, John! It closely matches mine with the TV60. :) 

Of course, aperture rules in this hobby, but these small telescopes can be really handy for travelling, wide field, or observations under uncertain weather conditions. With the TV60 I find planets quite surprising under good seeing conditions at around 75-150x, with very different results depending on eyepiece quality. 

If you don't mind me to ask, what tripod are you using? My sturdy video-tripod is in Italy as my mother is into binocular observation atm (!), so the TV60 is sitting on my lighter video-tripod, which is okay, although the 1/4" 3-way head is clearly the weakest part. Yours seems simple but well made.

15 hours ago, John said:

The filter might help but I don't find the small amounts of CA that the Ranger produces bothersome so I won't use that type of filter.

+1 ...same with mine too. :icon_salut:

6 hours ago, Piero said:

If you don't mind me to ask, what tripod are you using? My sturdy video-tripod is in Italy as my mother is into binocular observation atm (!), so the TV60 is sitting on my lighter video-tripod, which is okay, although the 1/4" 3-way head is clearly the weakest part. Yours seems simple but well made.

The tripod that I'm using came with the scope. It is a Slik Master Classic but it's been branded as a Viking. Older type but rather good :smiley:

9 hours ago, Piero said:

Of course, aperture rules in this hobby, but these small telescopes can be really handy for travelling, wide field, or observations under uncertain weather conditions. With the TV60 I find planets quite surprising under good seeing conditions at around 75-150x, with very different results depending on eyepiece quality. 

John's report reminded me a little of your own accounts Piero on those cycle trips out of Town with the TV60 and the astonishing extent of DSO's that both the scope and your observational skills could determine. Particularly as discovering many, if not all as a first observation. Paradoxically my own interest in small wide field refractors has arisen because I have first become accustomed to observing both DSO's and planets with larger aperture such as 8" and above, whereby familiarity enables me to fine tune what I can now see and deduce in much smaller aperture. I quite agree with planetary observations, the TV76 was very satisfying last season for observing Jupiter. A plan I aim to undertake for autumn winter is to travel a bit with my TV76 and camp over night. Two clear advantages, I can journey from home in the car a little longer and further to seek out yet darker locations than my 1 hour limit and will not need to be concerned about setting off home again at 2 or 3am. A small refractor along with camping gear will be no problem on a 15-20 minute valley walk in.   

6 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

John's report reminded me a little of your own accounts Piero on those cycle trips out of Town with the TV60 and the astonishing extent of DSO's that both the scope and your observational skills could determine. Particularly as discovering many, if not all as a first observation. Paradoxically my own interest in small wide field refractors has arisen because I have first become accustomed to observing both DSO's and planets with larger aperture such as 8" and above, whereby familiarity enables me to fine tune what I can now see and deduce in much smaller aperture. I quite agree with planetary observations, the TV76 was very satisfying last season for observing Jupiter. A plan I aim to undertake for autumn winter is to travel a bit with my TV76 and camp over night. Two clear advantages, I can journey from home in the car a little longer and further to seek out yet darker locations than my 1 hour limit and will not need to be concerned about setting off home again at 2 or 3am. A small refractor along with camping gear will be no problem on a 15-20 minute valley walk in.   

Yes, Iain, that seems a great idea.

I also want to thank you and John for his original thread. :icon_salut: After getting the Tak, my TV-60 was only used once, due to the Tak (of course!), the bad weather, but also because of the current and inadequate head coming with my lighter photo-tripod. I thought about a replacement, but never did it. Maybe now it's the time. Reading this thread and Iain's comment have triggered in my heart the desire to take the TV-60 to the countryside again. :) 

Archived