Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding in PHD2 and EQMOD

Hi, I have been using my Altair Astro GPCAM2 with 60mm guide scope to PA using SharpCap and then using EQMod (Single Cable) linked to Stellarium. All working nicely and got some nice 2-3 subs. I am looking at PHD2 and getting set up guiding. Had a few goes but not getting very far at all. Looked online and followed a load of videos and forums but cannot seem to get anywhere.

I have PHD2 setup correctly for the focal length etc for my setup. I have run my darks and select a star (Using auto select) Made sure not using a bad pixel - can see it moving. Click on the 'Go' button and it starts to calibrate. Fairly often get the message that star did not move enough but think that was because I was trying to set up close to the Pole Star. Moved away and chose another star but get the message about MAX RA setting is not high enough. Tried a number of different setting but nothing works. Never managed to get a good calibration. 

Is there something I need to set in EQMod itself? Read somewhere that you need to tell it certain details as it overrides PHD2 in some areas. Read in other posts that you do not need to change anything.

Does anyone use EQMod and PHD2 that could help shed some light on where I may be going wrong? Just to add I was using ST4 cable and 'On Camera' setting but since using the EQMod cable I have changed to ASCOM HEQ5 instead of 'On Camera'.

Thanks for your time,

Tom.

9 minutes ago, ChrisEll said:

Can you upload your guide log? Also use the Calibration Calculator to determine the correct step length.

Will have a look at logs, presume they save somewhere on the laptop. Will check out the Calculator...all a bit new to me and like a foreign language!

26 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Will have a look at logs, presume they save somewhere on the laptop. Will check out the Calculator...all a bit new to me and like a foreign language!

Hi

Make sure you enter the focal length of your guide scope into the calibration step calculator. Mine gives me a step size of 2100 for a 180mm guide scope and 3.75um pixels :)

Louise

20 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Make sure you enter the focal length of your guide scope into the calibration step calculator. Mine gives me a step size of 2100 for a 180mm guide scope and 3.75um pixels :)

Louise

Thanks, will check that and make sure correct :)

1 hour ago, Z3roCool said:

I was trying to set up close to the Pole Star. Moved away and chose another star but get the message about MAX RA setting is not high enough

Hi. To calibrate, you need to be close to due south at the equator. Tonight around midnight that's in Virgo. Anywhere in the square where m61 is in this snap would be fine.

61.thumb.JPG.adbb71af9c2b4b151bc43bd6ab087d57.JPG

1 hour ago, Z3roCool said:

MAX RA setting is not high enough

The default guide speed isn't high enough for PHD2. Set it to at least 0.5. Here is mine, set at 0.7. HTH.

62.JPG.33bc2144522f53dc83af65e000cef4c6.JPG

By default EQMOD sets a guide rate that is quite low - 0.1 I think. Set the guide rate in EQMOD to a value of 0.5 to 0.9

Your guide log will be under Documents\PHD2. The Help menu has an option to "Open Log Folder"

Archived