NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 & M82 from Astro campsite

carastro

Managed to get to a dark campsite for a few days with some astro chums.

I took different length Luminance subs to try to preserve the core, and also to try to get the IFN.  Did I get any IFN or is is just bad gradients and wishful thinking?  Lol

Luminance: 
900 x 4
600 x 6
300 x 3
Ha 3 x 900secs

RGB 3 x 150 secs binned (each)

Skywatcher 130PDS & Atik460EX, HEQ5

KJe8WO4L9hYn_1824x0_2wOq5-6h.jpg

Now you're just making me jealous! :icon_biggrin:
I love the depth to Bodes. I've a slight obsession with these two. Captured them several times recently although not quite on par with yours. Again, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup: (I also love that you are using the same scope I have as it demonstrates what is possible). 

Pete.

8 minutes ago, Redscouse said:

Just a quick question please. What is IFN?:help: 

Integrated Flux Nebula ;)  its  a body of dust/gas that lies outside of the MW, and is only visible due to it reflecting the light given off by our host galaxy. And it is very difficult to image - so Carole has done quite well to get that far.

Carole, if you need a reference image - here is one I did last year. You can make out some of the shapes around M81/82

33561233791_cfe593701f_b.jpg

40 minutes ago, carastro said:

Managed to get to a dark campsite

I've been trying to get the red bits in m82 with a dslr but so far, nada. Maybe I need a monochrome camera and a filter... Anyway,

<envy>lovely shot.</envy>

Very nice! I think if those are bad gradients, then by amazing coincidence they seem to follow the contours of the IFN seen e.g. here...

http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Galaxies/M81-82.html

Thanks so much for that, so I do have a faint trace of IFN, something to be worked on.

Yeah, there is some IFN in there - but it needs very careful processing. I wrote a tutorial on this subject, which can be found here:

Thanks for that Rob, I will have a read.

Thanks also every-one else for their comments.

Carole 

I've been trying to get the red bits in m82 with a dslr but so far, nada. Maybe I need a monochrome camera and a filter... Anyway,

Hi Alacant,  You need an Ha filter to get the red stuff on M82.  I did get some slight filaments in luminance to my surprise, but its really the Ha that brings it out.

I didn't concentrate too much on M82 in this image as was more concerned to get a nice M81 and attempt IFN.

Carole 

Further to the helpful replies above I had a "go" at stretching the IFN.  The video gave me a "hint" Rob, but I found it far to complex and my PS doesn't have all the gadgets in the tutorial.   So using some of the info I gleaned, I did my own thing.

It's probably too noisy now, but at least I got it and know how to stretch it given enough data.

shP_SaLBeJ8D_1824x0_2wOq5-6h.jpg

Hi Carole - yes very nice and I agree the IFN does seem to match the reference image - nice job!

Also as you say M82 does show some filaments sideways form the central area. But my Ha efforts on M82 don't seem to show this - which is a pity cos that's primarily what I was after! I'll post my efforts later and see what you think.

Maybe my sky wasn't as good as yours??!!

2 hours ago, carastro said:

We were doing it the same night Tom, it was on the Thursday night.  Maybe you haven't yet identified the Ha Filter.  

Carole

Yes and we were only about 10 meters apart - so I can't really blame the sky!! And maybe I haven't identified it correctly either, though I think I'm OK. Course it might be back to front also!

Maybe I'll just spin the wheel next time and hope I get lucky!

Archived