Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen HR Eyepiece

Pig

Just now, 25585 said:

Bit less magnification not necessarily bad. 

Yes and should be ideal at 180 X for the big planet.... it may also be useful with the versatile VIP ?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about the TOE for a long time, but too few reviews / comments for making me push the button. Eventually, I decided to skip them and play sure with the HR. Waiting a bit can be very rewarding.  :)  

8 hours ago, Piero said:

I thought about the TOE for a long time, but too few reviews / comments for making me push the button. Eventually, I decided to skip them and play sure with the HR. Waiting a bit can be very rewarding.  :)  

I hear you Piero... but on the other hand I have not read any bad reviews.....maybe an indifferent post on CN from a translated Chinese review, there are a couple of semi reviews that are very positive. I will soon see ?

8 hours ago, 25585 said:

Not in your FL bracket, but I have a 32mm TAO to try out. Main competion from my hoard for that are TV Plossl & Baader Eudiascopics thirtysomethings. 

I thought about the 32mm TAO but I already have 3 eyepieces in the same range ?

3 hours ago, Pig said:

I hear you Piero... but on the other hand I have not read any bad reviews.....maybe an indifferent post on CN from a translated Chinese review, there are a couple of semi reviews that are very positive. I will soon see ?

I wasn't meaning that they are bad, but just that at nearly £300 each, I'd expect them to perform as the very best. As far as I have read, only one guy on CN praises them at the level of Vixen HR. Said this, I'm open minded. More reviews are needed.

3 hours ago, Piero said:

I wasn't meaning that they are bad, but just that at nearly £300 each, I'd expect them to perform as the very best. As far as I have read, only one guy on CN praises them at the level of Vixen HR. Said this, I'm open minded. More reviews are needed.

LoL.... I don’t mind being the first on SGL ? hopefully I can order a TOE today .... we have clear skies forecast for Thursday and Friday so I may get s chance to give first impressions..... I also have the NZ & HR 2.4 to compare against ?

1 hour ago, Pig said:

LoL.... I don’t mind being the first on SGL ? hopefully I can order a TOE today .... we have clear skies forecast for Thursday and Friday so I may get s chance to give first impressions..... I also have the NZ & HR 2.4 to compare against ?

:thumbsup: 

Are you getting the 4mm then? I'd be very interested in knowing how you get on with it, In particular, I am curious about the colour tone, light scattering, and how the on-axis contrast of small features is presented in this ep line.  

Do you still have the VIP and some SLV to get something closer to a 4mm?  If so, you could modify the VIP to make it work at 1.5x (removing the two 15mm spacers) and combine the barlow with the SLV 5mm (a 6mm would be better). This combo results in a 3.33mm which could reveal some CA at the edge because of the small factor (1.5x), but should be sharper than the NZ on axis.

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Perhaps with FLO stocking TOE eps, more SGL reviews will follow. 

@BillPthinks highly of them I believe. 

Never seen any reviews of the Tak UW/FF eps which have 90 deg AFOV. Vixen rivals would be the SSW range I guess. 

Bill has extensively tested the Vixen HR ( https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/articles/field-test-of-the-vixen-hr-eyepieces.36/ ). I do not remember any post of his in which he commented about Tak TOE eps in the field.  

On 4/6/2018 at 01:05, Pig said:

Thanks Gerry, me too ? what’s your take on the TOE 4mm ?

Sorry for the delayed response Shaun, I just read this yesterday. I think that the TOE should be excellent but is relatively unproven at this point. I eagerly wait your reports! I am particularly curious about the TOE's performance compared to Tak orthos as well as the HR2's.

7 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Sorry for the delayed response Shaun, I just read this yesterday. I think that the TOE should be excellent but is relatively unproven at this point. I eagerly wait your reports! I am particularly curious about the TOE's performance compared to Tak orthos as well as the HR2's.

Are TOE different to Tak orthos then?

Confusing like BCO & BGO...

1 hour ago, Piero said:

:thumbsup: 

Are you getting the 4mm then? I'd be very interested in knowing how you get on with it, In particular, I am curious about the colour tone, light scattering, and how the on-axis contrast of small features is presented in this ep line.  

Do you still have the VIP and some SLV to get something closer to a 4mm?  If so, you could modify the VIP to make it work at 1.5x (removing the two 15mm spacers) and combine the barlow with the SLV 5mm (a 6mm would be better). This combo results in a 3.33mm which could reveal some CA at the edge because of the small factor (1.5x), but should be sharper than the NZ on axis.

In short I do have methods of achieving equivalent focal lengths. The VIP will fine. I also have a 2  scopes (Fratios 6.4 & 7.4)

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Are TOE different to Tak orthos then?

Confusing like BCO & BGO...

Yes

TOE eyepiece involves 6 elements in 4 groups - 52 FOV

Takahashi Abbe Orthoscopic Eyepieces - 44 degree - not sure of the elements (maybe 4)

1 minute ago, Pig said:

Yes

TOE eyepiece involves 6 elements in 4 groups - 52 FOV

Takahashi Abbe Orthoscopic Eyepieces - 44 degree - not sure of the elements

Ah thanks. My 32 is an Abbe then. I might be operating on it soon. 

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Ah thanks. My 32 is an Abbe then. I might be operating on it soon. 

It’s worth keeping hold of as good 32mm Orthoscopics tend to end up being quite scarce ?

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Hiya Gerry, I will let you know how I get on with the TOE ?

12 minutes ago, 25585 said:

So you might be FLO's first Takahashi product customer ;)

Maybe !!! They are getting the TOE 4mm for me and are updating their website to include them ? 

26 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Tak Abbes are 4 lenses in 2 groups. 

I thought so but wasn’t sure... simplest design and the least amount of glass to disrupt the photons ?

The forecast for tonight in Northampton shows a window of clear skies. I have my scopes set up outside just in case there is a remote chance of some twinkling stars ?

Archived