Narrowband

Vixen HR Eyepiece

Pig

Having tried my 3-6mm Nagler Zoom & VIP Barlow at extraordinarily high magnifications and experiencing zero problems with focusing etc I thought I would pull the trigger on a Vixen HR 2.4mm. 

The many reviews I have read rate them very highly indeed ...... so hopefully FLO can get one pretty soon for me ? All I have to do now is wait ?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Should give a nice magnification at just over X300, looking forward to hearing your opinion on it. 

I found the views of the lunar surface really satisfying at powers higher than 300 x with the above combination so I am pretty sure all should be fine with the HR and TAK combo ? I will of course let you know how I get on.

Should be fun Shaun. I take it you don’t suffer from floaters? I think I would struggle at 0.3 ish exit pupil but if it worked with the Nag zoom, then it should be even better with the Vixen!

Would be fab to try some of the longer focal length ones (if/when they are released) in binoviewers.

I`m thinking about selling my 2.5 and 3.5 naglers to buy the 2.4 hr and the incoming 3.4

I only use the naglers for moon and planets. For deep sky I wouldn`t swap mu ethos for anything, being the 4.7 in the low end (and antares x1.6 if necessary, an amazing combination)

As second hand naglers are sold in spain at about 170 £, I would have to add some cash to the deal

Do you think that it`s worthy or am I crazy and this is only eyepiece fever?

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Should be fun Shaun. I take it you don’t suffer from floaters? I think I would struggle at 0.3 ish exit pupil but if it worked with the Nag zoom, then it should be even better with the Vixen!

Would be fab to try some of the longer focal length ones (if/when they are released) in binoviewers.

Floaters are there Stu but they are not so bad that I can’t ignore them ? the exit pupil should be fine as I didn’t even notice it with the zoom.... I was thinking about the TOE eyepieces as they have some lower power ranges but the reviews I read titled in favour of the HR’s 

I do also have my little WO frac to think about ?

You really are building up some nice quality kit there Shaun. The Tak and now the HR. Not cheap , but quality very rarely is. The HR series seems to have been getting some very favorable feedback, some putting it in the ZAO league. And when you compare the price of a ZAO then the HR seems a reasonable price. Obviously you have the Nag zoom, but even so the 2.4 HR may tempt you to go for the set. As the Taks do seem to handle these very high mags very well. ?

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

You really are building up some nice quality kit there Shaun. The Tak and now the HR. Not cheap , but quality very rarely is. The HR series seems to have been getting some very favorable feedback, some putting it in the ZAO league. And when you compare the price of a ZAO then the HR seems a reasonable price. Obviously you have the Nag zoom, but even so the 2.4 HR may tempt you to go for the set. As the Taks do seem to handle these very high mags very well. ?

Thank you Simon ..... ? I may also try the 3.4 when it makes an appearance, mind you the Tak UW are calling.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Anyone recall when the 3.4mm is due to be released?

Skypoint.it selling for €275 but ordered on request. Seems to be on pre-order everywhere. 

Perhaps @FLO could ask for that. Vixenoptics.com (US) have it on their site. But not UK yet. 

13 hours ago, Pig said:

Email from FLO saying that the order is complete ? so tomorrow looks to be the day I receive the HR... FLO are verty reliable.

Congrats Shaun!

This eyepiece is top tier. I'm looking to get the 3.4mm HR2 and any others they make.

I missed the postman earlier and I thought I might have to wait until tomorrow to collect my eyepiece from the sorting office, fortune smiled upon me when I went to see if was there ... and woohoo it was ?

4E2F7C8A-1513-4EF9-B16F-8521105D99AE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Arrrgggh, is this official? I was hoping to get one for Jupiter opposition - and of course for Mars.

Unfortunately it is...... I am going to go for a  TOE instead ?

8 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Thought you had decided to go TOE 4mm already!

I had but then I heard about the HR 3.4 and was tempted. So back to plan A I go ?

Archived