Advice on guide scope or belt mod

Hi

Moving slowly up the steep AP learning curve with my SW 200 HEQ5 Pro and Nikon D5500.  Getting reasonable subs with 30 sec (max with intervalometer) until I get APT up and running.  Looking to improve my equipment and not sure which is the next step, guiding or the belt mod. Comments appreciated.

Regards

Sunnie

Honestly? No brainer. Guiding.

It doesn't matter how low your PE or how good your PA, you'll need to guide. So called 'unguided' mounts do, in fact, guide on their absolute encoders and  they need a sky model which corrects for the effects of the atmosphere in changing the apparent position of celestial objects as they rise and set.

Guiding is a very elegant way of getting ordinary mounts to deliver extra-ordinary tracking performance. The belt mod is trivial in comparison.

Olly

Guiding opens up a whole new avenue down the astrophography road..sometimes it's straight and downhill..other times its a little bumpy..sometimes you  need to do a u turn..but guiding is awesome and you won't look back..

It need not be too expensive, if you have a 9x50 finder and converted it into a fantastic finder/guider with an adapter..and be on the lookout for a mono planetary camera ..phd2 is free..

Archived