Help & Advice required on imaging equipment

Hi. 

I have been imaging since couple of years using a NEQ6 Pro on which I either mount my 10'' dobson tube or the small Orion ST80A. I can say that all this time I have learned and honed my skills to achieve very good polar alignment and hence I have never used guiding in my imaging sessions.

However, I wish to now take a step forward in imaging using guiding equipment. Also, since the 10'' dob tube is very heavy and difficult to carry and balance, hence I have mostly taking pics using the small & pretty ST80A.

After going through the offers on the net and the limited budget that I will work on, I was wondering if the following equipments can be used for guided imaging sessions. I request members to please suggest if I am taking the right path. I dont want to carry laptop in my imaging sessions and hence have shortlisted this equipment -

NEQ6 Pro GOTO with Synscan - I already have.

Main imaging scope as SW 130 PDS - this I will buy

Guiding scope - I already have ST 80A which I will piggyback on the 130 PDS

SW Guidescope mount - on this I will mount my guidescope which will be ST80 A

SW Synguider - which I will use as the guiding camera. It can be connected to the ST port provided on my NEQ6 Pro. So I will be able to avoid taking the laptop and thus reduce one requipment in the imaging gear.....and travelling light too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pankaj said:

SW Guidescope mount

Hi. You should be able to save a bit here as you could simply put a second dovetail across the top of the new reflector and bolt the existing rings directly to it; no need for the guide telescope to be pointing exactly where the imaging telescope is aimed. Otherwise looks like a plan:)

HTH and good luck.

20 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. You should be able to save a bit here as you could simply put a second dovetail across the top of the new reflector and bolt the existing rings directly to it; no need for the guide telescope to be pointing exactly where the imaging telescope is aimed. Otherwise looks like a plan:)

HTH and good luck.

Thanks mate. Your advice would definitely save some money for me. But just thought of a probability that the maybe the ST80 is unable to spot a guiding star if fixed to the apparatus. In such a case if it was mounted on a guidescope mount then it may give some leverage to adjust the ST80 direction and find a suitable guiding star. 

You don't need to align the guidescope to the imaging scope. Alacant is right. In fact guide rings and guide scope adjusters were invented to do the oppositie - to find guide stars away from the imaging scope's field of view. Sensitive guide cameras mean this ins no longer needed.

Olly

1 hour ago, Pankaj said:

adjust the ST80 direction and find a suitable guiding star

Hi. No need to worry. The ST80 will find a guide star in any part of the sky; just lose the synguider and get one of these instead.

HTH.

**EDIT. Sorry if you already have the synguider (?) but I'm sure that on an ST80 it will work just as well.

Supposing I were to take the Orion Starshoot https://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider/p/52064.uts

Will it work well with the guiding port provided in Skywatcher's NEQ6 Pro ? 

How does the connections go ? Laptop & Starshoot through USB connecting cable AND Starshoot to Neq6 with ST cable ? Hope I am right. Expert advice needed. 

9 minutes ago, Pankaj said:

Will it work well with the guiding port provided in Skywatcher's NEQ6 Pro ? 

How does the connections go ? Laptop & Starshoot through USB connecting cable AND Starshoot to Neq6 with ST cable ? Hope I am right. Expert advice needed.

I used to guide my NEQ6 with SSAG using PHD2, BUT if you will be using PHD2 then I recommend that you use direct PC to NEQ6 connection using one of these, or similar rather than via SSAG to NEQ6.

IMG_6060.thumb.JPG.977367afc172ee823cc14fbd25fd9f25.JPG

Guiding with PHD2 using EQ Dir connection will provide more guide performance data for analysis by the PHD2 gurus.

Just my 2 penneth...

Good luck, Geof

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 00:02, ollypenrice said:

You don't need to align the guidescope to the imaging scope. Alacant is right. In fact guide rings and guide scope adjusters were invented to do the oppositie - to find guide stars away from the imaging scope's field of view. Sensitive guide cameras mean this ins no longer needed.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I awould be a newbie in autoguiding and hence was looking forward to a decent but not very sophisticated guide camera. At the same time I wanted to avoid additional cables and laptop. Hence was looking to buy the synguider. Would there be any serious disadvantages associated with the synguider?

1 hour ago, Pankaj said:

Thanks Olly. I awould be a newbie in autoguiding and hence was looking forward to a decent but not very sophisticated guide camera. At the same time I wanted to avoid additional cables and laptop. Hence was looking to buy the synguider. Would there be any serious disadvantages associated with the synguider?

I haven't tried one but reports on the forum are mixed. If you want to avoid a laptop in the field you don't have any choice but a standalone guider. If you are using a laptop you'd have more flexibility with a separate camera and free PHD software.

Olly

Take Olly's advice and use a laptop. I understand you want to travel light but that neq6 is not lightweight so a laptop should not make too much of a difference. Small amount of weight v's reliable tracking. I know which I would choose.

On 24/03/2018 at 17:40, Pankaj said:

Thanks mate. Your advice would definitely save some money for me. But just thought of a probability that the maybe the ST80 is unable to spot a guiding star if fixed to the apparatus. In such a case if it was mounted on a guidescope mount then it may give some leverage to adjust the ST80 direction and find a suitable guiding star. 

A 50mm finder/guider can find guidestars easy enough so a 80mm with a longer focal length will find plenty I'm sure

3 hours ago, spillage said:

Take Olly's advice and use a laptop. I understand you want to travel light but that neq6 is not lightweight so a laptop should not make too much of a difference. Small amount of weight v's reliable tracking. I know which I would choose.

Ok. How are these two options. Which one do you think I should choose. Purpose is only guiding. And considering that I want a beginner.

https://galileotelescope.com/cameras/guide-speciality-cameras/zwo-asi1034-color-astronomy-camera.html

https://galileotelescope.com/cameras/guide-speciality-cameras/qhy-5l-ii-planetary-autoguider-camera-color.html

10 minutes ago, Ishan Mair said:

Pankaj, I agree totally with the three responses above mine. Following that should lead to minimum hassle. Go with ZWO guide camera.

Hows this? You may know the vendor too. Any feedback on the supplier ? Or maybe you can suggest a better alternative. 

https://galileotelescope.com/cameras/guide-speciality-cameras/zwo-asi1034-color-astronomy-camera.html

On 24/03/2018 at 18:56, alacant said:

Hi. No need to worry. The ST80 will find a guide star in any part of the sky; just lose the synguider and get one of these instead.

Have a look here as per @alacant has mentioned. Stick with a mono for guiding with your st80 it will be fine.

Archived