Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield views with a 72mm scope

GavStar

I’ve recently acquired a small TS 72mm ED refractor, the aim to give me widefield views of large DSOs with my NV monoculars. With a 0.79 reducer, it gives around 6.5 degrees view with the 55mm plossl, about double what I can get with my other scopes.

I noticed that this evening was clear so decided to give it a quick first light before the clouds rolled in.

I had some user error issues with my az gti which didn’t help. But I managed to get the flame, horsehead and M42 all in the fov which was nice. Also tried the rosette which was framed quite well (maybe even a bit too much fov for the rosette). 

With the reducer in, the scope worked well, giving nice stars to the edge of the field. 

A couple of iPhone photos below. Not the best photos due to clouds (for the rosette) and mount issues (for m42). 

But there was some promise shown this evening which makes me optimistic for when things work out a bit smoother. I think this could be a nice NV grab and go setup.

0D3D427B-DD25-4849-B78F-4123381A5BE4.jpeg

E376716D-9C1F-49C9-9DB1-4ADE542754EB.jpeg

Archived