SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best time to view Saturn and Jupiter?

Hi all,

i know these two planets aren’t in there best position for viewing at the moment and won’t be for a long time as they are both low near the horizon ( I think anyway). I wanted to know what month is best for viewing them. I’ve never seen planets through a scope before so want to make sure I do it’s on my  “ Bucket List” .  Also is there any equipment I should buy that would make the viewing better ? When I  bought the 130p I only got 10mm and a 25mm eyepice. No Barlow though. Do I get one or should I get a better eyepiece? I’m also hoping to get  my first view of mars in June as it’s supposed to be “closer” to us.

many thanks 

Yes get a barlow, it will give you a big improvement in views for relatively modest £ spent for planets as they will always be fairly small and in the centre of the view.

The main things expensive EPs do well are less distortion at the edges and a wider field of view.

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes get a barlow, it will give you a big improvement in views for relatively modest £ spent for planets as they will always be fairly small and in the centre of the view.

The main things expensive EPs do well are less distortion at the edges and a wider field of view.

Thanks Neil,  is there a Barlow you would recommend? There’s one on FLO and it’s relatively cheap would this be alright https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/celestron-2x-universal-125-barlow.html

I have one of those barlows, they are supposed to be a bit better than the ones supplied with most Skywatcher scopes. With my 150PL, the stock skywatcher 10mm eyepiece and the barlow I can see the Red spot, about four dark bands and the shadows of moons passing over jupiter, your scope is a bit smaller but with decent seeing you should see similar things - don't expect Jupiter to be huge though!

I've since bought a random x3 barlow element and fitted it to the x2 holder and it works well.

For comaprison I bought a cheap x5 barlow and it was either too strong, absolute rubbish or both...

30 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Saturn June 27

Jupiter May 9

Those dates are for the oppositions, when the planets are at their largest. But bear in mind that they are visible in the early morning from any time now and won't be any higher at the time of opposition just a little larger. Mars is the exception in that it gets dramatically larger at opposition.

Its been a while since I entertained members with my Skysafari shots so here are the comparisons between now and at opposition for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, all to the same scale.

IMG_7747.PNG

IMG_7748.PNG

IMG_7749.PNG

IMG_7750.PNG

IMG_7752.PNG

IMG_7753.PNG

1 hour ago, Dinoco said:

Hi all,

i know these two planets aren’t in there best position for viewing at the moment and won’t be for a long time as they are both low near the horizon ( I think anyway). I wanted to know what month is best for viewing them. I’ve never seen planets through a scope before so want to make sure I do it’s on my  “ Bucket List” .  Also is there any equipment I should buy that would make the viewing better ? When I  bought the 130p I only got 10mm and a 25mm eyepice. No Barlow though. Do I get one or should I get a better eyepiece? I’m also hoping to get  my first view of mars in June as it’s supposed to be “closer” to us.

many thanks 

I had a look last week and they are already worth the early start for a quick look. Jupiter especially. 

I'm currently using the Skywatcher SuperMA 10 and 25. They are okay and do the job. But i think you benefit more from a decent eyepiece upgrade and then a barlow. There are some cracking eyepieces for around £30 that are a proper step up from those SuperMA. Then put a barlow on one of those. For instance if you bought an 8mm BST, that would give you 81x. Which believe or not, when the planets are that low, may give you the best view. Add a barlow and you have 162x. But if last week was anything to go by for me, that was a no show. My ancient 15mm RKE eyepiece at 100x was easily the best view. It's not always about chasing the mags. 

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Its been a while since I entertained members with my Skysafari shots

I was wondering how long it would take for you to show up with the screen shots :D many thanks very helpful as usual.

32 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have one of those barlows, they are supposed to be a bit better than the ones supplied with most Skywatcher scopes. With my 150PL, the stock skywatcher 10mm eyepiece and the barlow I can see the Red spot, about four dark bands and the shadows of moons passing over jupiter, your scope is a bit smaller but with decent seeing you should see similar things - don't expect Jupiter to be huge though!

I've since bought a random x3 barlow element and fitted it to the x2 holder and it works well.

For comaprison I bought a cheap x5 barlow and it was either too strong, absolute rubbish or both...

Thanks I might get it as it’s rather cheap will have a look at some reviews if there are any.  I know, I’m not expecting it to be massive have seen a thread on here on what to expect from planets and seen a few videos on YouTube that have been recordings through the scope. I don’t mind that it’s going to be small . As long as I can make out that it’s jupiter or Saturn and maybe see some moons then I’ll be very happy :) 

10 minutes ago, russ said:

I had a look last week and they are already worth the early start for a quick look. Jupiter especially. 

I'm currently using the Skywatcher SuperMA 10 and 25. They are okay and do the job. But i think you benefit more from a decent eyepiece upgrade and then a barlow. There are some cracking eyepieces for around £30 that are a proper step up from those SuperMA. Then put a barlow on one of those. For instance if you bought an 8mm BST, that would give you 81x. Which believe or not, when the planets are that low, may give you the best view. Add a barlow and you have 162x. But if last week was anything to go by for me, that was a no show. My ancient 15mm RKE eyepiece at 100x was easily the best view. It's not always about chasing the mags. 

Thanks Russ I’ve been wanting to have a quick look in the early morning. Keep preparing my self but always seems to be cloudy hopefully it can change. I’ll buy a Barlow now to use with my eyepieces I’ve got and then get the eyepieces, I’ve had my eye on the BST’s read good things about them on here.

17 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

Thanks Russ I’ve been wanting to have a quick look in the early morning. Keep preparing my self but always seems to be cloudy hopefully it can change. I’ll buy a Barlow now to use with my eyepieces I’ve got and then get the eyepieces, I’ve had my eye on the BST’s read good things about them on here.

Sounds a great plan. The good thing is the BST wouldn't replace the 10mm, just add to the collection. And the barlow will double the collection.

1 hour ago, russ said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to imply, take advantage of any clear skies we get and have a look now. Jupiter for example gets a little bigger, but not massively and if you are prepared to get up for about 4.30am when it transits, the views won't be that much different. In fact, check the heads up section, there is a shadow and GRS Transit tomorrow morning.....if it's clear....

EDIT IGNORE then it above about the GRS Transit, that was this morning :( 

Archived