NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any DIY-ers with a BH postcode?

Demonperformer

This may be a bit of a long-shot, but, hey, if you don't ask, you don't get. :icon_biggrin:

After spending a sleepless night thinking about spending £2.5k on an upgraded mount, I am thinking a more modest approach might be a more sensible option.

Which leads me to the rowan astronomy belt mod for my neq6, which it seems would provide a significant improvement to the operation of the mount, for a modest price, but I have two major problems:
(1) I do not have the workspace facilities to engage in such an activity
(2) Even with the facilities, I lack the competence to complete such an activity (successfully! - I could no doubt take it all apart, but ... :icon_biggrin: )

I am therefore wondering if there are any DIY-ers local to me, who have the facilities and would be interested in taking on the task (for a suitable, to-be-negotiated, consideration, of course - "the labourer is worthy of his fee"). Also, as I do not have my own transport, it would require collection and return. I am told that it takes a "couple of hours" and I would make myself available if a "mule" was useful.

If anyone is interested in entering into negotiations on the above, a PM might be the most appropriate form of contact?

Thanks.

A couple of hours to complete the belt mod is achievable IF you have the working conditions, correct tools and you have a full understanding of how it comes apart & more importantly how it goes back together again. What you haven't factored in is the "super-tuning" and additional parts you may require. New bearings, shims, grease etc.. I spent a complete day modding my EQ6 and I'm an Engineer. Albeit a fastidious one :)

But it was certainly worth it. It improved it significantly.

Steve

44 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

These people would probably be your best option, you know it’s done properly and fully gauranteed..

https://www.darkframeoptics.com/

At £499+£39, considering what I have been advised I could probably get for my current mount on the second-hand market, I am practically in new EQ6-R territory, which has "a slew of new features that will appeal to astro-imagers" [according to FLO!].

Why are no decisions ever simple????? :crybaby2:

Archived