Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus & Mercury Conjunction

orion25

Hi, all!

Venus and Mercury have been back in the early evening sky for the past few weeks and are in close conjunction right now. Closest approach was last evening (March 3), a little more than a degree, not close enough to fit within a telescopic view, but a great apparition as soon as the sun set. I grabbed this wide-field shot at one of my favorite observing spots (Venus left, Mercury right):

5a9cc056d2455_ASTRONOMY-VENUSMERCURYCONJUNCTION3-03-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.c6a269ec9bf93c0bc3692ccd15141e95.jpg

Cheers,

Reggie:icescream:

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Nice shot, Reggie.

Unfortunately there has been no chance of seeing Mercury yet during this apparition. Hoping for some clear evening skies before it runs away and hides again!

Thanks, DP. Right now, Mercury is still climbing, soon to reach greatest eastern elongation on the 15th so there's still a chance for you I hope, lol! I was able to see both of them from my backyard this evening, very low on the horizon.

Excellent shot Reggie. Well done! Managed to see Venus in my binoculars and my grab and go scope briefly just before we got the cold blast from Siberia over here early last week, but since then cloud, cloud cloud I’m afraid. Nice to know they are still up there! :) 

5 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Excellent shot Reggie. Well done! Managed to see Venus in my binoculars and my grab and go scope briefly just before we got the cold blast from Siberia over here early last week, but since then cloud, cloud cloud I’m afraid. Nice to know they are still up there! :) 

Cloud blast from Siberia! BRRRR! That sounds serious, Gus. Keep warm!

Archived