Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera borked?

Datalord

Hey,

Tonight as I was setting up the rig it managed to throw me a curve ball. Usually I can fix whatever gremlin comes crawling out, but tonight it just didn't. My camera decided to be absolutely horrible.

5a91d19a98c1e_2018-02-2420_17_41.thumb.jpg.986c846c6a5f27ed8e5784e08ec1250a.jpg

It has done this before, which usually was an indication of the USB port (USB3 is not something it is happy with) or my power source failing for some reason. I tried 2 batteries and a mains 12V converter and 3 USB ports. A few reboots of the computer was also thrown in. When I switched to the mains, it worked for about 1 minute, then reverted to this nonsense. Tomorrow I'm going to give it a shot with a different computer.

Now, question, have anyone else experienced something similar? Any suggestions before I ship this back under warranty?

You don't say which camera this is? If it's the 6d in your sig (your in APT so assuming this is the one) then try it off-rope and see if works normally i.e. can you capture an image, save to card download to pc, etc. If so then probably a connection problem, if not then camera likely the cause. If it's the QHY (also in your sig) then probably "borked" as you so eloquently put it.

12 minutes ago, David Smith said:

You don't say which camera this is? If it's the 6d in your sig (your in APT so assuming this is the one) then try it off-rope and see if works normally i.e. can you capture an image, save to card download to pc, etc. If so then probably a connection problem, if not then camera likely the cause. If it's the QHY (also in your sig) then probably "borked" as you so eloquently put it.

Wow, fail on my part. It is the QHY 247C.

5 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Hmm, not good. Trying on another pc definitely worth a go and changing the cable also worth a try. I had issues with my QHY for a while which were miraculously cured by a new usb cable. How old is the camera, still under warranty?

It is, but I dread having to go that route. It will no doubt have to be sent away, possibly back to China for god knows how long. :-(

I'll try the cable as well tomorrow. Thanks for that suggestion.

3 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Try it with EZ capture - if that doesn't work then it's borked.

Peter

I tried SharpCap. Didn't work. :-(

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

It would be worth posting the issues you have on the QHY forum.

Steve

I did yesterday. Waiting for an answer there. 

3 hours ago, Datalord said:

Uhm, I went out, started it all up and the camera just worked. So frustrating. With the clear skies tonight, I hope to get some imaging time despite the moon, now let's see if the gremlins come back.

false alarm. It didn't work. And I have now connected it to another computer, using EZCap, installed new drivers. Nothing. Just reads out 255 RGB everywhere. Borked.

45 minutes ago, Datalord said:

A guy from QHY remote controlled my machine and tested it out. His conclusion was the same: Borked.

Do you now need to send it back to China. If so, contact your retailer and ask if they will arrange the repair. They have the contacts, postal routes and it will take a lot of pressure off you to organise it. I sent my camera back to QHY and it was a nightmare. It was initially misplaced, then stuck in customs and I finally repaired. I got it back seven weeks later.

Steve

3 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Do you now need to send it back to China. If so, contact your retailer and ask if they will arrange the repair. They have the contacts, postal routes and it will take a lot of pressure off you to organise it. I sent my camera back to QHY and it was a nightmare. It was initially misplaced, then stuck in customs and I finally repaired. I got it back seven weeks later.

Steve

yeah, I already have the contact at the retailer. But I am afraid I don't expect it it any sooner. I doubt it would have been faster with a US manufacturer, tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived