NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSS going open-source

alacant

Hi everyone. That's good news:) The author is also looking for an administrator for the DSS forum. Maybe a good way to get involved?

author: deepskystacker@free.fr

forum: deepskystacker@yahoogroups.com

Cheers and clear skies.

Very pleased to hear that this it will be open source so that the astronomy community may continue to benefit from the project, but saddened to find out that it's as a result of the untimely death of Sander Pool.  I'm sure I've been helped out by his messages, even if it was through an answer to someone else's question.

It's a stark reminder of the fragility of life, too.  He was three weeks younger than me, and I'm barely getting started...

James

Good news about DSS going open source but bad news about Sander.

I don't think people realise how much effort can go to making some source code suitable for public consumption, especially if it was a part-time project. If Luc (the author of DSS) wasn't a complete pedant, the code could be quite "embarrassing" so a good tidy-up may be in order before initial release.

During my career I have seen code for medical devices that have been coded by highly paid contractors that are not fit for public consumption as they would get ripped apart and ridiculed.

My favourite quote is from C.A.R. Hoar e:

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

The source is now on Github if you've not seen already https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS

The initial commits suggest a 64-bit port is on the way. I'm cloning the repository now to have a good look over the weekend.

EDIT: Just noticed there is no license in the project, making it difficult to fork if anyone wanted to release their own version. Does anyone post on the Yahoo group, and could see if they will add a license?

Archived