NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar X and V in colour

Stub Mandrel

This is my first bit of imaging with my C90 Mak. I bought it for visual, but it's the ideal size to use with a DSLR without a barlow for the moon as it frames beautifully and the resolution is optimally matched to the sensor. 98 frames with Canon 450D, PIPP, AS!2, PS, Astra Image.

First image is traditional processing, the second with some gentle coaxing out of the colours. I think these are my best moon shots yet (I always say that).

5a8f308487af8_LunarXandV22Feb18.thumb.png.0f66118a0cf510007d08d72a7054dfea.png

5a8f2f096c323_LunarXandV22Feb18COLOUR.thumb.png.494f3cc11160890f679b40f9e6abe178.png

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Nice, the C90 is a lovely scope for Lunar shots and it realy is pin sharp, not tried mine yet with an eyepiece as its so camera friendly.

Alan

The moon looks great with the supplied 20mm Plossl. The views seem to be really contrasty compared to my newts.

I also had a look at M42, with averted vision I could see a fair bit of nebulosity and the trapezium was very clear (don't think I have seen it properly before) but it struggled with a 10mm ep in.

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thanks, I think I will be pointing the Mak at the moon again!

I think you absolutely should. I love my 102 on the moon, for vis and imaging. My only problem is that at F13 it's a little slow with the Nikon on my rickety mount with the dim crescent phases. Once I get to 1st quarter I can go about 1/400s and it's ok but I may see if upping to ISO 400 does too much damage to IQ tomorrow night if the weather permits.

Or I could just buy a new mount, which is in hand. Thanks to overtime.

You can have your thread back now :)

19 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

My only problem is that at F13 it's a little slow with the Nikon on my rickety mount with the dim crescent phases. Once I get to 1st quarter I can go about 1/400s and it's ok but I may see if upping to ISO 400 does too much damage to IQ tomorrow night if the weather permits.

The C90 is 1200mm so F13 as well, I just left my camera on 800ISO and used 1/160 which turned out OK.

Archived