Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 first time and first time using PixinSight

artoleus

Hi all,

These are my first attempts at imaging M51.  approx 1hr 45mins exposure in total.  Taken with my astro-modded Cannon 550D through the OO VX10.  These are my also first attempts with using PixinSight trial version.  The zoomed version was actually the very first where I didn't quite handle the background correctly, but got some nice detail in the Galaxy.  The second I spent more time on figuring out how to sort out the background.  Could probably tease more detail out of that one but probably better to add some more subs at some point in the future.  I somehow let a plane slip in.  Really can't find the sub with that on.  oh well.  I'm happy.  Been at this a year now and this is probably my best image yet.  

bestwidefield_M51.jpg

M51_Processed and zoomed in.jpg

Thank you for you kind comments, I am quite proud of it. It's that moment after having processed and suddenly the image pops out of the noise that makes it all worth while.  I think i still suffer from that impatience to rush to get a final image. I'm quite in awe at the other images members have posted on here.  The time and zen like patience to wait until you have 19 hours of data and probably quadruple that processing is amazing to me. 

The subs were 180s and 240s aiming for around an hour in each. Then cosmetically corrected, debayered, aligned, integrated together then hdr composed in pixinsight.   After that it went through various linear then stretched processing steps.  I mostly followed this tutorial on YouTube for the processing: 

With the exception of doing multiple autobackground removals and dynamic background removals. I had to tweak the settings to pick up the wild background gradient. When it came to noise corrections I used the wavelet image inspection  script as a guide to decide on the levels used.  

Nice shot!

Try LocalHistrogramEqualisation (or is it Transformation?) and if you're using masks and haven't discovered Range Selection - give that a shot too :-)

David

Archived