Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding in PHD issue

Z3roCool

Hi, got my setup running fairly well. One thing I cannot get working is PHD with my Altair 60mm scope and Altair Mono camera. 

I am using Eqmod and Stellarium. Getting good 3-4min shots but want to go higher. 

Setup PHD with camera and with 'On Camera' all connects. Finds camera and does darks. Can see stars and can choose one via best star and start looping but alsays says that the star did not move and does not calibarate. 

Is this because the mount is already turning via Eqmod?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Tommy

6 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

There is a very good 'how to' (not written by me) on my website - download it and have a read - it should answer your issues and give you a much deeper understanding of how to set up and use PHD2.

https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/how-to

Cheers, will take a look ☺

PHD should run happily alongside EQMod. Have you added the guide scope focal length details etc to PHD settings? That tells it how far the star should move. If not, it may not "move enough" to calibrate properly. I'm sure the guide on Billy's site will cover all this, though.

If you use the "on camera"  option, you are guiding in ST4 mode. I assume you have the ST4 cable connected. If you don't want to use the ST4 cable, you need to select the ascom/eqmod mount. If using indi, you'd select the "indi mount" option in PHD. When guiding through eqmod, you don't need the ST4 cable.

11 hours ago, alacant said:

Let PHD2 choose the star

Auto Select is best, but can still select a hot pixel unless the Minimum HFD is set by testing - try 2.0 - so that hot pixels are ignored.

If your mount has Dec backlash then don't Calibrate until you've pulsed it north until you see the guidestar move, then the backlash has been taken up.

Failing to take up the Dec backlash will fool PHD2 into thinking the mount isn't moving

Also failed Calibration can be due to incorrect guidescope focal length and guidecam pixel size entries.

Archived