Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First go at Flame and Horsey

You have really come on leaps and bounds since you were asking what kit to buy only a few months ago.  You must be both chuffed and disappointed in this image.  

Chuffed to get your own Horshead and nice round stars, but disappointed to have such a huge halo around Alnitak which is a PITA at the best of times.  But look on the bright side, you could win a competition on the biggest halo of Alnitak which looks brilliant in the crop done by Starwiz and would make a fine bit of AstroArt.  

What concerns me is that you have a SW130PDS which is the same as one of my scopes.  I was always told that Newtonian's don't suffer with dew as much as refractors.  So are you saying this was ice crystals in the air rather than dew on the optics?  

If the latter, there are dew heaters you can purchase for Newtonian scopes.  

Carole 

18 minutes ago, carastro said:

You have really come on leaps and bounds since you were asking what kit to buy only a few months ago.  You must be both chuffed and disappointed in this image.  

Chuffed to get your own Horshead and nice round stars, but disappointed to have such a huge halo around Alnitak which is a PITA at the best of times.  But look on the bright side, you could win a competition on the biggest halo of Alnitak which looks brilliant in the crop done by Starwiz and would make a fine bit of AstroArt.  

What concerns me is that you have a SW130PDS which is the same as one of my scopes.  I was always told that Newtonian's don't suffer with dew as much as refractors.  So are you saying this was ice crystals in the air rather than dew on the optics?  

If the latter, there are dew heaters you can purchase for Newtonian scopes.  

Carole 

Ha Ha, thanks Carole. That's true, almost looks as if it is some kind of supernova remnant, or a planetary of some sort.

I am fairly sure the moisture was airborne, as afterwards some high altitude clouds came through a few of the subs that I cut out. I shined a flashlight (torch) down the scope and saw no dew on the primary, so if it was the optics it must have been the secondary or the filter. But when I started packing up the kit, the entire scope was soaking wet as if it had rained, but it obviously didn't, so it could've been a number of things.

Archived