Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Do I Need To Buy? Im So Lost

TankBall

so i got a Canon T6 and i want to put onto my scope and i know i need to get a t-ring but now i learn i need to get something called a prime focus adapter. like i said im so lost on what i need. i made a video to help u guys understand where im lost on this 

heres that other video i was talking about in mine 

now i do know i need to get a Canon t-ring - https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93419-T-Ring-Canon-Camera/dp/B000237C9M/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1482156750&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+t-ring&linkCode=sl1&tag=allsstu-20&linkId=2cc3617f82486a4787ac5d07fb655e5f

but other then that im lost on what i need. im guessing i need to get this prime focus adapter here since my scope is 1.25'' - https://www.amazon.com/Astromania-Focal-camera-adapter-cameras/dp/B0140UA1HC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1482156902&sr=8-19&keywords=t-thread%2Badapter&linkCode=sl1&tag=allsstu-20&linkId=b0f521919e4fac976dbc55a61b330824&th=1

but like i said im so lost on what i need to get. my scope is a Vixen A80Mf Refractor. i hope someone here can help me out and point me to all the right stuff i need.

We also call that a t mount. The t mount fits to a t ring which fits on the camera. The t mount is then inserted into your 1.25 focuser tube on your telescope.

Ideally you would remove the diagonal and put your camera with t ring t mount into the focuser but you may not reach focus so would need a 2 inch long extension tube to use where the diagonal had been.

5 hours ago, happy-kat said:

We also call that a t mount. The t mount fits to a t ring which fits on the camera. The t mount is then inserted into your 1.25 focuser tube on your telescope.

Ideally you would remove the diagonal and put your camera with t ring t mount into the focuser but you may not reach focus so would need a 2 inch long extension tube to use where the diagonal had been.

ok well can u link me to the stuff i should get?

You can get started with just the two items you linked to. Both are just mechanical adapters so there's not a lot of choice involved -- one product is probably going to be about as good as another. Once you have them, you can try removing the diagonal, inserting the 1.25 adapter/T-mount/Canon assembly directly into the scope, and see if you can achieve focus (I recommend doing this on a daylight scene first -- much easier to make sense of what you're seeing!). If not, take it out, put the diagonal back in, and try it that way. 

Hi TankBall, and welcome.

Like others have said, get your adaptors, and try to achieve focus without the diagonal in place. Do this on a distant object in daylight, with your camera on live view mode. It also helps if you have the canon EOS utility for your PC/laptop, you can see focus better then on the bigger screen. 

Another tip for you, once you achieve focus and you are happy with it, get yourself a marker/sharpie, and draw a mark on the focuser draw tube where it enters the focuser, then this is your reference point and do not have to keep messing around with focusing. Just use the reference mark you created on the draw tube.

John

I think it's best to use threaded connectors wherever possible for astrophotograhy. Your T-ring has a female M42x0.75 thread which should thread straight onto the male M42x0.75 thread on the  back of the scope. By the way you'll find folks use "T-thread" or "T2 thread" as shorthand for M42x0.75

But if you do that then you'll probably find it wont focus because the camera is too close to the scope - even with the focuser is all the way out. So what you need is an extension tube (aka spacer) with a male M42x0.75 on on end and a female M42x0.75 on the other end. That will fit between the scope and your T-ring.

Next thing is how long does it need to be.  I would guess somewhere between 40mm and 50mm and it doesn't need to be exact as you've got a lot of travel on the focuser. But start with the camera connected to the scope and see if ti focuses that way first. If it doesn't, then attach your prime focus adapter. Put the camera t ring up against the end of of it and hold it in place while you adjust the focus. If you can focus that way then a spacer about the length of the prime focus adapter would be ok - as long as the focuser is not all the way in or out. You can do  all this in daylight focusing on a distant object.

By the way, with the adapter and  diagonal in place - can you focus with the eyepiece at all? I think you'll find that you can use one or the other but not both.

11 hours ago, alacant said:

My apologies for above, the extension is missing the threads at the camera end. So yes that's what you need or perhaps even better both together.

HTH.

ya i think i'll go for that. thx. 

2 hours ago, kens said:

I think it's best to use threaded connectors wherever possible for astrophotograhy. Your T-ring has a female M42x0.75 thread which should thread straight onto the male M42x0.75 thread on the  back of the scope. By the way you'll find folks use "T-thread" or "T2 thread" as shorthand for M42x0.75

But if you do that then you'll probably find it wont focus because the camera is too close to the scope - even with the focuser is all the way out. So what you need is an extension tube (aka spacer) with a male M42x0.75 on on end and a female M42x0.75 on the other end. That will fit between the scope and your T-ring.

Next thing is how long does it need to be.  I would guess somewhere between 40mm and 50mm and it doesn't need to be exact as you've got a lot of travel on the focuser. But start with the camera connected to the scope and see if ti focuses that way first. If it doesn't, then attach your prime focus adapter. Put the camera t ring up against the end of of it and hold it in place while you adjust the focus. If you can focus that way then a spacer about the length of the prime focus adapter would be ok - as long as the focuser is not all the way in or out. You can do  all this in daylight focusing on a distant object.

By the way, with the adapter and  diagonal in place - can you focus with the eyepiece at all? I think you'll find that you can use one or the other but not both.

im still super now to this so what u said just goes over my head. i just wanted link to the stuff i need. i understand what your trying to do but i need it to be simple for me until i understand everything so just a since amazon link to what i need is best

Couldn't find anyting on Amazon but on ebay you can get:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T2-M42-0-75mm-Thread-Extension-Ring-Tube-Set-5-20mm-Kit-for-Astronomy-Telescope/282521470570?hash=item41c797866a:g:zRUAAOSwubRXFEzH

This comprises a 20mm, 15mm, 10mm and 5mm spacer that will give you anywhere between 5mm and 50mm spacing. Even if you don't need them all today you will one day. I've got two sets and more and they all get used at different times. Just keepp adding them to the scope till your camera can be focused.

Be aware that astrophotography is possibly the most technically complex pursuits you can imagine so at some point sooner or later you'll have to immerse youself.

Archived