Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another 'which first Filter do I buy' thread

Peco4321

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section, and sorry if it's all been said before, but I am about to click buy on a new tripod for camera and binocular use, it is about £80 and to be honest I could struggle on without it and spend the money elsewhere. Hence my question. 

My set up is Skywatcher 150p on eq3-2 with dual motors, canon 1100d. I love imaging DSO's, galaxies, planetary Nebula, and trying to uncover such beauties as Bubble Nebula, Veil nebula, Horse head and flame nebula, and any other supernova remnants and random bits of gas etc. I am obviously let down by the limitations of my set up, but I'm getting better at polar alignment so can get regular 45 sec exposures and sometimes up to 60 sec while at prime focus. 

So my question, will £80 get me a clip in type of filter that can be used both at prime focus and with a lens, that will eek out more data for the objects I am hunting. There is quite a bit of light pollution from my garden both in the distance and from neighbours. 

From my own experience, it was only when I started autoguiding my exposues and pushing the exposure times that I needed a light pollution filter.  I'm not sure if you can auotguide an EQ3-2, and even if you could, your guider would need to be small and light due to the weight limitations of the mount.  I dont think, certainly open to debate here, but at 60s exposures, there wont be any light pollution that you can't edit out in post-processing.  For me imaing the HH, bubble etc, requires exposures in the region of 300s-600s, although this will vary for others.

I've decided to go for the tripod in the end, I'm going to be doing some outreach at my kids school soon and figured my bins on a good tripod would be more useful for now. I can save for a filter later on the year, ready for next winter maybe. Thanks for all your replies. 

Archived