NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod for 15x70 binoculars

I'm about to click buy on these, my budget is up to £50, I know they aren't the best out there but they will be used for both my bins and camera (separately obviously) and they look pretty sturdy. One question, will I be better getting a metal adapter like the picture to replace the rubbish plastic one that came with my celestron bins?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0742BBTPD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2HHQ25UNGL8HR&psc=1

IMG_6422.JPG

The bracket in your post will be the most solid bit of kit in the train.

The whole of the head on that T/Pod and other bits looks to be made from Far East plastic.

I have something similar that has lived outside with a trail camera on it since September, I would not consider using it with either Bins or DSLR Camera. or bringing it back indoors. :(

If you can hang fire and save up a bit more, look at the Zomei Z818 Kit. I hang a Batt Gripped 5D III and 150-600 zoom off it with no worries.

Best, Rich

No! the link I posted was for decent kit. Albeit a bit more than you want to spend.

The Pan head on your proposed rig is not worth attaching things to! unless you want sometimes floppy, sometimes jerky motion, and certainly iffy in terms of kit security.

Like everything, you get what you pay for in this game.

Best of luck, Rich

Peter,

Have you considered a monopod? I use one with my 15 x 70 Strathspeys. Like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-70-Pan-Head-Tilt-Travel-Monopod-Adjustable-Digital-Camera-Lightweight-Stand-/361543838680?hash=item542db12bd8

The monopod takes the weight and you can use small movements of your body to scan an area of sky. This gives me shake-free, friction-free, movement, and the flip-out loop at the base is useful if I need to anchor it on slippery ground. I have used a tripod, and it was fine for daytime use with a static object; but I found that to scan the heavens, I was always fighting the altitude clamp.

3 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

Peter,

Have you considered a monopod? I use one with my 15 x 70 Strathspeys. Like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-70-Pan-Head-Tilt-Travel-Monopod-Adjustable-Digital-Camera-Lightweight-Stand-/361543838680?hash=item542db12bd8

The monopod takes the weight and you can use small movements of your body to scan an area of sky. This gives me shake-free, friction-free, movement, and the flip-out loop at the base is useful if I need to anchor it on slippery ground. I have used a tripod, and it was fine for daytime use with a static object; but I found that to scan the heavens, I was always fighting the altitude clamp.

Thanks Geoff, I have considered this sort of thing and it is a cost effective solution but I am thinking of camera use as well for star trails and widefield shots. My current gorilla pod little tripod is starting to become too loose, so a combined upgrade for camera and bins is what I'm after. 

Thanks. 

After discussing things at work, along the lines of "would you order the one you really want, or the one £30 cheaper " I have gone for the Zumei Z818 and even got Amazon Prime free month, so I get them tomorrow. Can't wait. 

Archived