NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got a Dob and Mak, now want a frac!

I'm looking for some ideas about a good (ED) 4 inch frac and mount that can supplement my meade etx 125 and 2 dobs (8 and 12 inch revelations).  I am visual only and tend to stay with that.  I want a decent instrument but can't justify investing in a Tak, Vixen, Williams Optics etc as even second hand these are well over £1000 to £1500 for the OTA alone.

I'm sure there are plenty of options out there, can anyone recommend something good that they have or have used in the next level down when it comes to ED refractors.  Was considering skywatcher 100ED DS Pro F9?  Any opinions - good or bad or other suggestions.  Also want a motorised alt-az mount to go with this - any ideas or recommendations? max budget £1500 inc mount, finder and diagonal.

Thanks in advance

Steve

The SW 100ED DS Pro is excellent and come up second hand at reasonable prices from time to time. Great value at New price though, and you'd have to pay an awful lot of money to get anything better optically.

Can't advise on motorized AZ mount though! Better to spend on a good scope first and rough it with an AZ4, rather than spend on nonessential electronics. 

LOL We just did the same. Why? I have NO  idea.  Probably too much time at this site. But I can't wait (5 days) to see the difference. Pretty much deep sky so maybe I felt the tug to spend time closer to home? Better for road trips, too, and my wife and I can view simultaneously. Honestly, tho, spend enough time in this and I can see why so many have so much. Now all we need is a Mak. :icescream:

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The SW 100ED DS Pro is excellent and come up second hand at reasonable prices from time to time. Great value at New price though, and you'd have to pay an awful lot of money to get anything better optically.

Can't advise on motorized AZ mount though! Better to spend on a good scope first and rough it with an AZ4, rather than spend on nonessential electronics. 

Mike is right.  You'll have great views whizzing round the sky with a refractor on an AZ4, and will be back indoors drinking a mug of coffee before you would have managed to set up a motorized mount.  Great as a grab and go telescope for those rather teasing brief periods of clear sky  :smile:.

Archived