SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon d700

djpaul

Hi

I know nothing about photography but wanted to purchase a camera purely for attaching to my Sky watcher 120ed for lunar pictures.

Can anyone here tell me if the canon d700 or d7 would be worth getting?

Paul

I have the 700D, and it's a pretty nice camera, but surely not the best you can buy for planetary/moon.

I use it mainly for wide field astrophotography and obviously daylight as well.

The best option for moon (and planets) is a dedicated, preferably mono camera, particularly for the moon, since you'd probably discard any color info anyway.

ASI cameras are widely used, well supported among all OSes, and relatively cheap.  

The 700D was my first DSLR and it was a great camera, i now have a 7D mkii it's a fantastic camera with a brilliant AF system which i needed for birds in flight photography.

The 700D though is perfectly adequate and more than capable for your needs but i wouldn't buy if it's only to be used for lunar photography, in fact i would probably go for the cheap neximage 5 that FLO have for sale at £50.

Here is an image taken with my 7D mkii and 150-600 Sigma..

moon.png

21 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Hi

I have a chance to get a canon 7d mk 1 from a local respectable family run camera shop for £300

Would that be a good price for a secondhand 7d?

Body only 

Paul

£300 is a fair price for body only 7D, i would as always ask for the shutter count though.

I have a 700D which has had the full spectrum modification from c and i can't reccomend it highly enough for your first venture into astrophotography. Everything just works, and the images it produces are fantastic (for my level of astrophotography).

Rosette WIP.jpg

Horse_DSS_ABE.jpg

Archived