NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO ASI 385MC USB 3.0 Colour Cameras

FLO

New ZWO ASI-385 series colour cameras are in stock, both cooled and uncooled versions :smile: 

The ASI-385 uses Sony's highly sensitive IMX385LQR CMOS sensor, originally designed for industrial applications it's sensitivity is almost twice that of the sensor it replaces (IMX185LQJ) so is an excellent choice for astrophotography. 

Large 3.75μm pixels have a sensitivity of 2350 mV (the highest among Sony image sensors for industrial applications) and SNR1s of 0.13 lx. This is achieved via an internal programmable gain amplifier and high conversion gain pixels. It also combines HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology with technology that improves sensitivity in the near-infrared region. 

Impressive cameras at remarkably affordable prices! 

ZWO ASI 385MC USB 3.0 Colour Camera

zwo_asi_385mc_camera.jpg

ZWO ASI 385MC-Cool USB 3.0 Colour Camera

zwo_asi_385mc-cool.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, a bit small in fov. But paired with a lens rather than a scope, eg a Samyang 135 f/2, this would make a very portable and powerful setup. Or with an ed80 on an eq3 mount. High sensitivity means short exposures, and no guiding.

You could improve the resolution a little by drizzling. At 2 Mpixels, the files aren't that big, so even with many short exposures, the stacking procedure shouldn't take that long.

On paper, it seems a nice camera that could perform really well if you have access to dark skies.

But it should come with a cloud gun.

• 1 year later...

I would like the cooled version but the link gives a 404 error and no such item exists on the FLO web site.  Other retailers have them but I like to buy from FLO.  It would be just right for my all sky camera and save me a lot of work with a DIY cooler.

Edited by Gina

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I would like the cooled version but the link gives a 404 error and no such item exists on the FLO web site.  Other retailers have them but I like to buy from FLO.  It would be just right for my all sky camera and save me a lot of work with a DIY cooler.

Gina ZWO discontinued all the smaller sensor cooled cameras. Your best / only option now for those sensors is QHY.

Adam

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information - that explains it!  I've been cooling a whole camera (ASI178MC) but that is inefficient and cools the lens as well which isn't wanted.  Maybe I'll see if I can arrange a cold finger onto the back of the image sensor PCB.  Drying the whole ASC with desiccant isn't ideal.